Are tank tops/lids out of fashion now?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use folding glass lids on my tank, no canopy. I have 2 cut outs on each panel.
I don't have a rimless tank, but I'm sure there's options for the rimless tanks. Maybe @Joe Glass Cages can help you out with this issue

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 tanks plus a stock tank running all open top. I'm not a fan of a canopy. I don't really care for the look and it makes it harder to work in the tank. I ran glass lids on a rimmed tank once but they were always covered in salt and condensation blocking too much light so I ditched the covers. I had a mesh lid made for one tank and got tired of removing it anytime I needed in the tank so I ditched it too. I don't keep fish that are typically jumpers. I know any fish can jump but some are prone to jumping, those I don't keep. I also have to run fans in the summer and need the evaporation to help with cooling.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use diy polycarbonate lids to protect my lights and fish. No issues as long as I keep them clean weekly. Been six years now. As a side note, my tanks all have their own sump, which are open to atmosphere.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use folding glass lids on my tank, no canopy. I have 2 cut outs on each panel.
I don't have a rimless tank, but I'm sure there's options for the rimless tanks. Maybe @Joe Glass Cages can help you out with this issue
thanks @Sleeping Giant

glass lids on a large rimless tank are tough for us to manufacture. There is no cross brace fro the lids to rest in or on. Then, a lip needs to be created to hold the perimeter. Glass is heavy and dangerous if not supported properly. Polycarbonate can be held in with clips and is much lighter than glass.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used glass lids on all my reefs for 20 years and just switched my main display to poly carbonate, only reason being I wanted something a little nicer and more custom looking.

I have never had any issues with gas exchange or heat.

I had a few rows of holes in the back of the lid added mainly for wet tools to drip back into the tank

This guy makes good lids custom out of polycarbonate

The two lids needed for my 75g cost a total of 90$ and were made to my measurements and design. I added the rows of holes in the back and feeding ports, and had the seam/hinge placed to avoid my light mount.

91FA29B1-39C0-4FF9-97D8-0B822E7EFE86.jpeg EFC82913-1B60-461A-AA83-4DB64687898D.jpeg

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used glass lids on all my reefs for 20 years and just switched my main display to poly carbonate, only reason being I wanted something a little nicer and more custom looking.

I have never had any issues with gas exchange or heat.

I had a few rows of holes in the back of the lid added mainly for wet tools to drip back into the tank

This guy makes good lids custom out of polycarbonate

The two lids needed for my 75g cost a total of 90$ and were made to my measurements and design. I added the rows of holes in the back and feeding ports, and had the seam/hinge placed to avoid my light mount.

91FA29B1-39C0-4FF9-97D8-0B822E7EFE86.jpeg EFC82913-1B60-461A-AA83-4DB64687898D.jpeg
Are any of those tanks rimless? I wonder how they work when on a rimless.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of those tanks rimless? I wonder how they work when on a rimless.

None of my prior or current tanks were frameless but my new 83g tank is and he is making a custom lid for it. Two sections, supported by a custom lip he’s designing. Total cost is less then $140 shipped for a completely custom lid for a 48x20 tank

818993F5-7ED9-45B3-B5FB-4BB668E45273.jpeg

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do post the results here! I'm very curious what the clips look like and the design of it.

PS that tank is a monster haha. Looking forward to the tank build thread.

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is small can always have an airstone or pump in the back chamber to pump O2. If it doesnt actually oxygenate the water itll at least pump O2 beneath the lid. Its just an extra tube and outlet.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my prior or current tanks were frameless but my new 83g tank is and he is making a custom lid for it. Two sections, supported by a custom lip he’s designing. Total cost is less then $140 shipped for a completely custom lid for a 48x20 tank

818993F5-7ED9-45B3-B5FB-4BB668E45273.jpeg
Do you know when yours is shipping? My Etsy account says the 25th.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's also worth qualifying what tanks do well with limited gas exchange vs ones that do better with open tops. Looks like the photos of people who say gas exchange doesn't matter have less demanding/easier corals.

I can say that I have open tops with a lot of surface agitation and evap close to 10g a day on my 300g tank. If I could get that higher, I would. Point being, a sps dominant tank may benefit from as much gas exchange as possible to promote higher pH.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's also worth qualifying what tanks do well with limited gas exchange vs ones that do better with open tops. Looks like the photos of people who say gas exchange doesn't matter have less demanding/easier corals.

I can say that I have open tops with a lot of surface agitation and evap close to 10g a day on my 300g tank. If I could get that higher, I would. Point being, a sps dominant tank may benefit from as much gas exchange as possible to promote higher pH.
I didn't think oxygenation is a concern if you replace surface agitation with something else. Last time I looked, the bubble action from an air stone or skimmer reached peak oxygenation pretty quickly.
If that's true, then lidding a tank is highly beneficial, since open air risks contaminants getting in the water and evap creates imbalances in water chemistry.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I Just feel like if evaporation is a concern when you have a pump to automatically fill it for you it might be a long windy road ahead. I do get wanting to limit how much evaporates but i just feel like its overthinking it. Also glass, planted tanks can be similar to a reef tank . Id love to see yours. Sure there are night and day differences that are obvious , but looking at it in terms of upkeep there are levels. You may have a shipwreck, rainbow gravel and 3 anubias in your planted tank versus a full blown hight light co2 setup that requires much more upkeep.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think oxygenation is a concern if you replace surface agitation with something else. Last time I looked, the bubble action from an air stone or skimmer reached peak oxygenation pretty quickly.
If that's true, then lidding a tank is highly beneficial, since open air risks contaminants getting in the water and evap creates imbalances in water chemistry.
Keeping in mind that depending on where the skimmer is located and where it gets it's source air determines how much C02 is removed from the water.

If you're relying solely on the skimmer for ample gas exchange, then there has to be fresh air getting to and around the skimmer.

I would have a hard time accepting c02 equilibrium is achieved under a cabinet without proper air movement.

Plus there are more benefits other that gas exchange with surface agitation and an open top tank. Something overlooked by many hobbyists is evaporation, which is your friend. Especially when you're chasing pH. Which is another overlooked concept that can arguably be the most important for a reef tank.

Also the surface agitation aids in breaking up and removing surface film.

I'm of the opinion that, given the choice to deliberately choose not to promote gas exchange across the entire water surface would be a disservice to a reef tank.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping in mind that depending on where the skimmer is located and where it gets it's source air determines how much C02 is removed from the water.

If you're relying solely on the skimmer for ample gas exchange, then there has to be fresh air getting to and around the skimmer.

I would have a hard time accepting c02 equilibrium is achieved under a cabinet without proper air movement.

Plus there are more benefits other that gas exchange with surface agitation and an open top tank. Something overlooked by many hobbyists is evaporation, which is your friend. Especially when you're chasing pH. Which is another overlooked concept that can arguably be the most important for a reef tank.

Also the surface agitation aids in breaking up and removing surface film.

I'm of the opinion that, given the choice to deliberately choose not to promote gas exchange across the entire water surface would be a disservice to a reef tank.
A few things here:
  • CO2 will not be an issue as macroalgae will be the primary export of it far in excess of any other method. This also adds oxygen to the water.
  • Re skimmer issues under a cabinet - I highly doubt a cabinet could ever become depleted of oxygen to affect anything. But if it did it's be very easy to solve. Or just use an air stone instead.
  • Re evaporation maybe you could explain your thinking about how it affects pH and why it should be used to do that versus other methods? As I understand it, evaporation only indirectly does so and you could simply solve the problem another way that doesn't involve humidifying your home and increasing water usage as a consequence.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back