Are tank tops/lids out of fashion now?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I last was in freshwater tanks, they all used big chunky tank tops or lids that had the lights in them etc. Seems these days more and more tanks or the rimless and lidless variety. The consequence of that appears to be a lot of evaporation.

For my next reef tank I plan to fully enclose the tank top for 2 reasons:
1. Greatly reduce evaporation.
2. Stop the lighting rig from flooding my entire lounge room with light.

I haven't quite figured out how I will DIY this given a rimless tank, but I hope it'll not be too difficult.

I'm curious if this is just a fashion change or are there other important reasons for the fully lidless approach?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I last was in freshwater tanks, they all used big chunky tank tops or lids that had the lights in them etc. Seems these days more and more tanks or the rimless and lidless variety. The consequence of that appears to be a lot of evaporation.

I haven't quite figured out how I will DIY this given a rimless tank, but I hope it'll not be too difficult.

I'm curious if this is just a fashion change or are there other important reasons for the fully lidless approach?
gas exchange is the main reason we leave the tanks open top. if you dont like the light escaping, you can always have a canopy over the tank. but id highly suggest NOT fully closing the tank.
you need that co2 to escape and oxygen to get in.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea DIY lid on my Reefer 625. It was never for the look. It was only to keep the fish from jumping out of the tank.

My guess is most reefers feel the same way (rimless tanks look better without lids, but the lids are a necessary evil). So no, they’re not out of fashion. But still a necessity.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive seen numerous threads form you trying to compare reefing to freshwater..... they are not the same in ANY way, stop trying. lol

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yes I wondered the same thing, when I returned to the hobby. Evaporation is definitely an issue, but with all the auto top off options, if you get a good one it offsets this issue. One great advantage is with the cooler DC pumps and LED lighting and the open top tanks run for me anyway way cooler than they did 20 years ago so I don’t fight high temps in summer.

Disadvantage is fish can and will jump out, so some type of lid or mesh covering is a good idea.

If I was going to do a top, I would build a canopy mounting the lights on top so they have plenty of air exchange.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a great topic! I had often wondered about myself, but I do know that it has everything to do with gas exchange, which to my understanding, corals need. I don’t know a lot about this, so I will be watching to see what answers you get.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are confusing a lid vs a hood. A tank lid is going to sit mostly flush with the top of the tank and be made of plastic mesh, screen, polycarbonate, or glass. The main function is to block jumpers and mitigate evaporation if its a full sheet. A hood will typically be made of wood, matches the stand and is large enough to hold the lighting within.

Hoods are a bit out of fashion as rimless tanks have soared in popularity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gas exchange is the main reason we leave the tanks open top. if you dont like the light escaping, you can always have a canopy over the tank. but id highly suggest NOT fully closing the tank.
you need that co2 to escape and oxygen to get in.
In some setups I'm sure that's a genuine concern, however I'll have a sump as well so total open air surface area will likely be acceptable. Macroalgae and other bacteria will do the real work of oxygenating the water over-all I think, so I'm not really concerned on that count in particular. At least not until I see a problem.

Yes I wondered the same thing, when I returned to the hobby. Evaporation is definitely an issue, but with all the auto top off options, if you get a good one it offsets this issue. One great advantage is with the cooler DC pumps and LED lighting and the open top tanks run for me anyway way cooler than they did 20 years ago so I don’t fight high temps in summer.

Disadvantage is fish can and will jump out, so some type of lid or mesh covering is a good idea.

If I was going to do a top, I would build a canopy mounting the lights on top so they have plenty of air exchange.
Yeah I'll setup an ATO regardless, however I'm trying to keep the system from needlessly importing too much ya know? I know I can't perfect it, but with a tank in a shared space the extra humidity is not something I'd like to battle too hard.

I definitely think a canopy is a good idea. My plan is probably a polycarbonate sheet on the tank itself, then a canopy holding the lights that can sit on the tank edge with a lip. Definitely going to be a bit of a DIY undertaking hah.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are confusing a lid vs a hood. A tank lid is going to sit mostly flush with the top of the tank and be made of plastic mesh, screen, polycarbonate, or glass. The main function is to keep block jumpers and mitigate evaporation if its a full sheet. A hood will typically be made of wood, matches the stand and is large enough to hold the lighting within.

Hoods are a bit out of fashion as rimless tanks have soared in popularity.
Yes hood was the word I was looking for, thanks! However I plan to do both - a polycarb "lid", and a lightweight hood containing the lighting rig I think.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I have a full canopy on my tank. No lids on the tank itself, but I made screens for each section to keep jumpers at bay. Makes the tank look like a piece of furniture and eliminates light bleed into the room which is a must as it's in our dining room

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater tanks used hoods to prevent evaporation and jumping.
Saltwater tanks used canopies. Much thicker structures to hide the larger lighting systems.
Canopies were also further off the water and vented in the back to help heat escape, since excess heat in a saltwater tank from the high powered lighting required a chiller in most cases as well. Jumping could still be an issue but it was more rare since they could only make it out the holes in back, or into the overflow which was usually the problem for me.

Today's lighting systems not only negate the need for a chiller in most cases, but are also much sleeker and nicer to look at. Less of a need to hide the lighting systems has allowed for tank manufacturers to create sleeker, more modern looking aquariums. The downside is fish still jump so we now tend to use a thin frame with stretched netting. It still looks cleaner than having a large canopy sitting on top.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yeah I'll setup an ATO regardless, however I'm trying to keep the system from needlessly importing too much ya know? I know I can't perfect it, but with a tank in a shared space the extra humidity is not something I'd like to battle too hard.

I definitely think a canopy is a good idea. My plan is probably a polycarbonate sheet on the tank itself, then a canopy holding the lights that can sit on the tank edge with a lip. Definitely going to be a bit of a DIY undertaking hah.
I’m not completely sold on the poly carbonate lid. I agree with the comment about gas exchange, plus heat build up, and also what you will lose in par from your lights. Especially as it gets dirty and scuffed.

Glass would not get discolored or scuffed up, but still hold the heat and seal.

With a canopy that rests on top of the tank with reasonable ventilation, you still get exchange, full light and no carpet surfers.

Depending on size of tank, humidity probably no going to be too bad. Mine gets pretty high but I have two 210g, 160g, 110g, DT with a 129 QT system and various 20 gallon specific tanks in one room.

Don’t really have issues in our living room with just one 75 gallon tank

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not completely sold on the poly carbonate lid. I agree with the comment about gas exchange, plus heat build up, and also what you will lose in par from your lights. Especially as it gets dirty and scuffed.

Glass would not get discolored or scuffed up, but still hold the heat and seal.

With a canopy that rests on top of the tank with reasonable ventilation, you still get exchange, full light and no carpet surfers.

Depending on size of tank, humidity probably no going to be too bad. Mine gets pretty high but I have two 210g, 160g, 110g, DT with a 129 QT system and various 20 gallon specific tanks in one room.

Don’t really have issues in our living room with just one 75 gallon tank
I appreciate the opinion - It's still very much an open thought for me. However where I live 25+ deg c outdoors is standard (and summer hotter) so I'm likely to be battling evaporation AND heating issues more than some other folks here, and a chiller necessary no matter what I do in this context about lids.

On the topic of gas exchange - I remain unconvinced that it is a real concern if the sump and macroalgae is setup. But its a concern enough that it needs to be proven true or false for sure - I could be wrong.

And indeed would polycarb discolour or too quickly become a maintenance nightmare? I think discolouring shouldn't occur as it's meant for greenhouses and light transmission is important. Usually discolouring is from using materials that aren't UV treated like most acryllic. But definitely needs more research!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat can be a concern, gas exchange I have never worried about, I think that get parroted around more than anything as plenty of people have had hoods, all the old all in ones has them like buocubes, and I have personally had those along with lifeguard nanos with glass tops- and have never heard of issues with gas exchange. Now if one had a very large bioload and it was something like a biocube without a skimmer that could be an issue, but those enclosed tanks like that have been a backbone in reefing, at least beginners, for several decades now.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I appreciate the opinion - It's still very much an open thought for me. However where I live 25+ deg c outdoors is standard (and summer hotter) so I'm likely to be battling evaporation AND heating issues more than some other folks here, and a chiller necessary no matter what I do in this context about lids.

On the topic of gas exchange - I remain unconvinced that it is a real concern if the sump and macroalgae is setup. But its a concern enough that it needs to be proven true or false for sure - I could be wrong.

And indeed would polycarb discolour or too quickly become a maintenance nightmare? I think discolouring shouldn't occur as it's meant for greenhouses and light transmission is important. Usually discolouring is from using materials that aren't UV treated like most acryllic. But definitely needs more research!
The sump and macroalgae may help with gas exchange and O2 production, but it is my understanding that even with those in place it is important to have flow with powerheads or gyres etc that will create a ripple effect on the surface to break the tension of exchange. I think tank size may play a factor in whether the sump will be enough. But this is my opinion and not any thing I have tested. Just know that with todays styles I have found reefing a lot easier than I did with the older style tanks.

Could be that with Reef2Reef I just have a lot more available knowledge.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat can be a concern, gas exchange I have never worried about, I think that get parroted around more than anything as plenty of people have had hoods, all the old all in ones has them like buocubes, and I have personally had those along with lifeguard nanos with glass tops- and have never heard of issues with gas exchange. Now if one had a very large bioload and it was something like a biocube without a skimmer that could be an issue, but those enclosed tanks like that have been a backbone in reefing, at least beginners, for several decades now.
Exactly. I definitely think there is more fear of it than is necessary. But like most things in this hobby there are a lot of variables and its hard to generalize and be correct. I would imagine in the worse case I would open a few holes in the lid and with enough wave movement I'd expect the air to "breathe" enough.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are more alike than you think. Especially with a planted tank.
The chemistry is different, but husbandry remains.
I still have a 75G Planted tank. They really arent alike in most ways. And i dont see the reason to try aqnd make them alike. What makes each one unique is the differences. If you like all the things about freshwater, and dont see that in salt, than just get a freshwater tank rather than complaining that salt doesnt have it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are more alike than you think. Especially with a planted tank.
The chemistry is different, but husbandry remains.
other than both being an aquarium with water and fish they really arenyt alike at all IMO. fish, different. Plants/Corals, different. Styles of tanks, different. Length of most setups, different. they really arent the same in any way when it comes to keeping them.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lids are just a luxury many forego them. Though you risk jumpers. I use Krakenreef lids. A bit pricy but I like them.

I believe a skimmer has enough gas exchange for me not to worry about it. For 5 gallon or less tanks with no skimmer I do use lids with slits. Its not a mesh style so I can get both better evaporation control and gas exchange.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back