Why are so many lights designed to hang so far above the tank?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious to see so many lights requiring a fair bit of distance above the tank and I wonder why? Of course the technical answer is for light spread, but some lights seem to be designed to be placed right on top.
With the massive light bleed I see into so many rooms I wonder why people opt for the hanging ones?
Is it fashion or something more practical?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious to see so many lights requiring a fair bit of distance above the tank and I wonder why? Of course the technical answer is for light spread, but some lights seem to be designed to be placed right on top.
With the massive light bleed I see into so many rooms I wonder why people opt for the hanging ones?
Is it fashion or something more practical?
I guess it depends on your definition of "fair bit of distance". Most lights I've seen (I'm sure I've missed some) range from as low as 6 to 10 inches. I wouldn't want my lights any closer than 6 inches for accessibility and just safety/maintenance. My tank is open though and I have a canopy to capture most of any spill.

It does beg the question, if certain lights provide known light spillage when set up to specifications, why aren't the specifications adjusted or shades provided if they can't be changed to maintain par? I've seen a lot of people make aftermarket shades.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spread and access.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back