Tank covers

Dukeblue13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I started this post by writing a very long story of my reasonings behind this question but erased it all and I'm just jumping to the question. I have glass tank covers and I don't want to have them anymore lol. I want to have a semi open top to allow evaporation/gas exchange and prevent my fish from jumping out. Any recommendations on coverings that will allow that and not affect the lighting for my corals?

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the D-D Jumpguard Pro DIY Aquarium Cover and have been happy. I do want to upgrade to something like Clearview Lids.

The D-D is more of a DYI that allows for customization so it may be what you are looking for.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 x Red Sea DIY covers - both are very sturdy and work really well. It takes a while to customize them but it's well worth it

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the standard lid from water box but will be switching over to Kraken Reef

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got these. Yes I was sent two lefts by mistake. The feeding ports are supposed to be on outside corners. The builder / seller apologized and is sending a replacement right side.

It’s completely custom, I got to pick the door size, and location / quantity or aeration holes.

Very nicely made, this was approx 85$ for a set for a 75g tank

7FED4F53-D180-4E95-B21C-7007C7FA0BFE.jpeg E6862687-A6F0-4B2E-8517-42D3BC5C8465.jpeg 42D195B3-373B-47F9-9D82-A8D3818C440C.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I started this post by writing a very long story of my reasonings behind this question but erased it all and I'm just jumping to the question. I have glass tank covers and I don't want to have them anymore lol. I want to have a semi open top to allow evaporation/gas exchange and prevent my fish from jumping out. Any recommendations on coverings that will allow that and not affect the lighting for my corals?

Use the glass coverings, just prop them up in the back to create a vent.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the shape and size you have you can make your own. Or there are a few acrylic ones you can measure and get custom made such as clear view and kraken. Keep in mind they do take a bit of time to get.

I have clear view. I like it I don’t know how I’d feel if I had to buy another one. I have mixed feelings about it.

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 2 DIY mesh screen tops for less than 30 bucks for my 90 gallon. It allows for air to freely flow without any fish jumping out. I did buy an extra two boxes of 4 window frame corners because I will eventually modify the screens further when I get an auto feeder but whole project took less than 20 minutes.

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as @fishface NJ said, i do the same with the netting and HD screen frame. the netting does not interfere with the light, and you have the option of getting the nylon netting with a 1/4" or 1/8" grid pattern. its definitely a cheaper option if you don't mind the DIY look.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid covering helps with evaporation and temp stability. I added the aeration holes mainly as drains for equipment such as tongs or turkey baster and kept the majority of the lid solid.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
won't the solid coverings interfere with the light output? Mainly due to the condensation and acrylic or glass combined?
It’s marginal / negligible
I have a par meter. If the lid is completely clear it’s basically undetectable. Like 2-5 par. If the lid has condensation it’s around 10 par

bradoetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I’m a Dukie too!

Second, I’m new to the hobby (6 months), but I really like my Kraken lid on my nano tank. High quality stuff!

MarkSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the glass coverings, just prop them up in the back to create a vent.
This. I have two cats so I had a custom made glass in two pieces (less weight) with a hole cut for feeding. I also leave about 1 inch between the two panels for more breathability. I used glass bumpers all around to elevate 1/2 inch. There is plenty of evaporation and no moisture on the glass. Love it.

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who use Mesh, do you have issues with Salt clogging the screen? I've always had solid covers and have a lot of salt creep at every seam.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back