“Clean chaeto”?

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping some one could help me understand the potential Implication here. So background, I set up a bare bottom Waterbox 45.2 frag tank and it’s still cycling. Instead of a skimmer in the sump I ran 8 pounds of live rock from salty bottom reef co and some chaeto that was “clean” from algae barn. I checked the rock prior to putting it in the sump and since I was cycling w it, I just cleaned it off from shipping and tossed it in there. I inspected it to make sure nothing wild was attached and never had any problems spotting any critters. I had the chaeto in about a week and went to move it around and spotted 2 Aiptasia that we’re only in the chaeto. I know Tullock mentioned Aiptasia as a possible filter specimen but I’m not sure how likely they are to infiltrate the rest of the aquarium? My other question/ concern is whether or not they infiltrated my fuge and if peppermint shrimp will be enough to monitor/keep it in check? Thanks every one for the warm welcome and look forward to some other input.

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds familiar....

There is a pretty lengthy discussion on this topic already. Aiptasia moved from my fuge to my display. I manually removed what I saw. I added a couple peppermints to the fuge and they have kept the issue at bay. But I have found a few stragglers showing up every once in a while. I ditched the chaeto once I found the aiptasia. I'm guessing there is more there than what you have already spotted.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ditch the chaeto... sorry.

Si did it come from the rocks or the chaeto? That's the big question!!!

They will infiltrate the rest of the system from the sump.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tossed the chaeto as soon as I spotted them. Once my fuge light came on they opened up and were right in the open. So as far as I could see, there wasn’t anything else but obviously that’s wishful thinking. Idk where it started I just know I saw it fairly large in the algae and hadn’t seen anything in the lr prior, either way there is absolutely nothing but rock and a clown fish so hopefully I can get it under wraps w shrimp and a watchful eye.

sal024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same problem when i set up my tank a few months ago.
i started mine with all dry rock and after it cycled i added a bottle of pods and "clean" chaeto, both from algae barn. added nothing else and after a month and a half, i notice my chaeto full of small aiptasia. i just tossed it and added a couple of peppermint shrimp to the fuge and shut off all flow to the fuge for a coupe of weeks (since that's where the chaeto was). No idea if the shrimp did there job but going on 3 months and i haven't seen any aiptasia, so fingers crossed still.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked again tonight and I haven’t seen anything, I let loose a few shrimp and crabs so I’m hoping that helps. I’m not here to bash anyone I just wanted to see whether or not I was alone in this experience and how it was remedied. Looks like I’m headed the right way, ordered some “clean chaeto” from a different online source and I guess I’ll have to see if it’s good to go this time around or not.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back