0.00 Nitrates, is that possible?

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is very new, has just cycled about two weeks and have first introduced a pair of clownfish on a 60 gal DT about a week ago. I have also started using chaeto in the sump and turn on the skimmer at the same time I introduced the fish. I am feeding two times per day and try not to overfeed, maybe 1-2 pinch of small pellets. I am also running my XR15 at 10% of intensity as I don't have corals yet.

I have run 3 different tests of Nitrates and the readings are: Salifert (0.25ppm from what I can see in the color scale), Seachem is even lower at maybe something around 0.10ppm and then I made my first test with Hanna Low Range and it gave me a read of 0.00ppm. So I can deduct that yes, at this point my system is running very low on Nitrates.

So questions are:
1. Is that normal because I am not introducing too much nutrients so far and chaeto is consuming all nutrients as they are no other compettitors?
2. Is it ok to introduce corals with a 0.00-0.25ppm Nitrate level or should I start raising this at something around 5ppm? Not sure if overfeeding a bit and increasing the light intensity should help.
3. Will my chaeto will thrive under those conditions?

Last edited:

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, having barely a bio load, running cheat and a skimmer you will have no nitrates. You don't want to introduce coral into that, that won't survive. My sweet spot for nitrates on my low nutrient tank is 2ppm of nitrates.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is true I only hve 2 clowns as well it’s hard to add nitrates to my tank I had to go 3 weeks without a water change to get them to 5ppm my target is 10.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what would be the best course of action? This is my plan but happy to take any other ideas:
1- Overfeed a bit more and add frozen mysis in the menu, I have been giving pellets only.
2- Turn off my skimmer for 12hours every day.
3- No water changes, I am currently using RODI water.
4- Increasing the bioload by adding 1 more fish (Royal Gramma) and Skunk Cleaner shrimp? Have not added any CuC as tank is currently to "clean"

I don't think increasing the DT intensity (10% now) would be a good idea as this could result in a bacteria bloom, right?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what would be the best course of action? This is my plan but happy to take any other ideas:
1- Overfeed a bit more and add frozen mysis in the menu, I have been giving pellets only.
4- Increasing the bioload by adding 1 more fish (Royal Gramma) and Skunk Cleaner shrimp? Have not added any CuC as tank is currently to "clean"

I don't think increasing the DT intensity (10% now) would be a good idea as this could result in a bacteria bloom, right?
Really you could do any of these things, exception maybe the eliminating of water changes at this juncture. My first choice would be feed a bit more and make it frozen . Turning off the skimmer here and there is an option but really I think its going to be a headache over next month or two that you don't need. Adding the extra fish is also an option. Make it a cheaper one though. Maybe a small Damsel instead? Donate it back to LFS of you dont like it long term.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I started with feeding a bit more, I am still doing this twice per day, but now I am using frozen mysis since yesterday night. I tested for Phosphates and is reading 0.26ppm and Nitrates are crawling up now at 1.26ppm. I have also cut the refugium light with the chaeto from 14 hours to 10 hours.

1. What would be an ideal spot for Phosphates and Nitrates level at this point? I don't want Phosphates to get out of control, neither Nitrates, just barely enough to start introducing some corals in about one month.
2. I was planning to do water changes every two weeks (15-25%), should I keep them or do one per month?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I started with feeding a bit more, I am still doing this twice per day, but now I am using frozen mysis since yesterday night. I tested for Phosphates and is reading 0.26ppm and Nitrates are crawling up now at 1.26ppm. I have also cut the refugium light with the chaeto from 14 hours to 10 hours.

1. What would be an ideal spot for Phosphates and Nitrates level at this point? I don't want Phosphates to get out of control, neither Nitrates, just barely enough to start introducing some corals in about one month.
2. I was planning to do water changes every two weeks (15-25%), should I keep them or do one per month?
You are on the right track here. As for the right Phos and Nitrates at this stage you'll get a few opinions. You are starting to aquire moderate level of nitrates, thats good. As for the Phos, depending on your food choice some are higher than others. Nitrates expand a bit on a new tank thats not terrible, you'll likely get some appreciable algae, especially if Phos numbers continue to climb a bit. Don't panic, its normal these growing pains, it's working itself out. Some like to rinse their frozen in RODI before adding which can reduce the Phos a bit.
Personally I would continue your current course and test at least every other day. Watch for the slight spike, then if it happens dial it back slightly. Numbers are tricky at just after startup. Perhaps @Randy Holmes-Farley can advise a bit more there.
Water changes I would continue as you have been. Things are ok that way for now.
The corals you introduce down the road will be easy ones that can handle a range of nitrates somewhat. I had zero nitrates in my system for years and years, my basic corals maybe did not thrive but they did not die either. I still have them.
Key is slow and steady wins this race. Which i am sure you've heard before. Something happens that seems odd, post it, and you'll get great assistance.
Also post a pic of the clown pair. Everybody loves to see some images!

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like 2, 3, and 4.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an update. I have tested today again for Nitrates and Phosphates and they are coming at 2.09ppm and 0.25ppm, respectively. So is good to know that my Nitrates has almost doubled from Monday while Phosphates remain the same. I will keep overfeeding (noon pellets and night frozen mysis) and keep the chaeto lights at 10hours. I guess my goal here should be keep raising Nitrates at about 5.00ppm and start lowering Phosphates, which I guess I can do with water changes.

Does that sound reasonable? Keep in mind that I still only have 2 clownfish with no corals and invertebrates yet.

PD: I did raise my lights intensity from 10 to 15%. Tank to be about 2weeks with no ugly phase yet in sight.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes will reduce nitrate and phosphates so i dont think that helps you in your endeavor to raise one and lower the other, but realistically standard WC are not good at lowering either one longterm)

It is common issue run into where people want higher/stable nitrates but lower phosphates. Several options...try to find lower phosphate food, dose sodium nitrate(and cut back on feeding), use gfo, use lanthium chloride.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, will continue with my actual regimen, as it seems is currently raising Nitrates but limiting Phosphates. Once it reaches 5.00ppm on Nitrates will stabilize there. If they come down again I will try dosing sodium nitrate and cut back on feeding. I am in no hurry here, so will give time to see what works the best. At least now I know I can introduce corals and they will have some nutrients to absorb.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an update. I have tested today again for Nitrates and Phosphates and they are coming at 2.09ppm and 0.25ppm, respectively. So is good to know that my Nitrates has almost doubled from Monday while Phosphates remain the same. I will keep overfeeding (noon pellets and night frozen mysis) and keep the chaeto lights at 10hours. I guess my goal here should be keep raising Nitrates at about 5.00ppm and start lowering Phosphates, which I guess I can do with water changes.

Does that sound reasonable? Keep in mind that I still only have 2 clownfish with no corals and invertebrates yet.

PD: I did raise my lights intensity from 10 to 15%. Tank to be about 2weeks with no ugly phase yet in sight.

Just use a phosphate remover for phosphate rather than water changes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back