0 Bromine in recent ICP testing

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my ICP test results from a company that will go nameless.
It indicated that I have "0" Bromine in my Aquarium.
First off, is this even possible?
Bromine is not exactly your typical trace element.
For the record, recent history of 5 ICP tests sent to ATI between July - December of this past year showed Bromine in a range of of 79 - 92 mg/l.
Last test was 92 so I eased up on dosing, but not to the point that it would drop to 0 - in less than a month, no less.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ask the company about the result?

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ask the company about the result?
First thing I did.
Emailed them, yesterday, as soon as I saw the result. Thus far no reply.
BTW when I downloaded the results, yesterday evening, I did not see Bromine listed among the tested elements. Went back to their site to look at the original test and lo and behold the Bromine was removed from the test results.
Then I recalled that this particular company did not test for BR in previous tests.
Never would have noticed it until I did a test in July, with this company. It was at this time that I began individual dosing of elements as part of the Reef Moonshiners program. Bromine being one of the elements to dose. Looking for a result for BR, I found it was not tested (then).
You may be able to figure out the company by process of elimination, as they may be the only ICP service that does NOT test for BR.
Pretty incredible when you consider the importance of Bromine and compare that with some of the inconsequential elements they do test for.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never paid any attention to bromide in my tank, so I have a question for you... or anybody else... @Randy Holmes-Farley.

Back about 10 years ago when I started dosing Dowflake for Ca, there was some concern that some snow melt products had bromide in it. And that it could build up in a reef tank. I don't remember anybody saying it was very harmful, but people did seem to have reservations about it.

Now you are saying bromide is something you are dosing in your tank. So just what are the levels you are aiming for, and what does bromide do for the inhabitants in the tank?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just noticed my bromine which tested zero and was yellow flag is also gone from my test result...interesting

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just noticed my bromine which tested zero and was yellow flag is also gone from my test result...interesting
That "yellow flag" you refer to is what I noticed as soon as I got my results. It really stands out.
Perhaps the company is in the process of testing for Bromine but are still trying to work things out.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try another ICP and if it's low there as well dose sodium bromide although I don't think many people have seen big benefit from bromine dosing, just an idea, good luck!

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never paid any attention to bromide in my tank, so I have a question for you... or anybody else... @Randy Holmes-Farley.

Back about 10 years ago when I started dosing Dowflake for Ca, there was some concern that some snow melt products had bromide in it. And that it could build up in a reef tank. I don't remember anybody saying it was very harmful, but people did seem to have reservations about it.

Now you are saying bromide is something you are dosing in your tank. So just what are the levels you are aiming for, and what does bromide do for the inhabitants in the tank?
Bromine is sold by several companies for reef supplementation.
I'm using the Reef Moonshiners target of 85 mg/l. I'm currently at 92 so I intend to decrease dosing (I've been in a range of 79 - 92 in my last 5 ICP tests).
For the purported benefits of Bromine check out Randy's and Psxerholic's comments in the link below.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back