0 Nitrate, 0 Phospate

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube32 LED that has been cycled for 18 months stocked with the following:
2 Clowns, Massive Xenia Colony. Large GSP, including 50% of the back wall covered, Candy Cane, 3 small Zoa Colonies, Meteor Shower, 2 head hammer coral, Galaxia, Small Acan, Favia, Large Toadstool and 2 other leathers
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrates
0 Phosphates
9.0 dKH
7.8 pH
SG 1.026
Ca 425
Mag 1420
Temp 79
All tests done with Salifert
Just a note, i have tested a friends tank water for Phos and Nitrate and could easily see detectable levels, so i'm certain that the test kits aren't bad.
I used to feed about 1/4 cube of frozen every other day and do a 5 gal water change weekly and had a bag of Chemi pure elite in filtration.
6 weeks ago I changed to about a 1/2 cube of mixed frozen food daily and use 1/4 teaspoon of reef roids twice a week and still can't get any detectable Nitrate and Phos levels. Also cut water change back to 5 weeks.
I have a few stray pieces of bubble algae and tons of coraline, no signs of other algaes to the point that some of my clean up crew has died off.
I do still need to clean the glass every few days, but it used to be a daily thing.
Is it possible that my tank is just consuming the Nitrate and Phos at the rate it's being produced?
What should i do, if anything? Neophos? Neonitro?
Pics are prior to adding latest corals. Thanks!
20220522_170524.jpg
20220707_150534.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I would pull the chemipure elite out of use. That contains carbon as well as gfo that is meant to trap and remove phosphates, which you don't need. Normal carbon will suffice for the time being.

With two clowns in a BioCube, you are quite low on a bioload. Are you planning on adding any additional fish?

Are you running a skimmer on this tank? Only two real options are to introduce more, or export less dissolved nutrients.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is you decide to do, more fish, more food or less filtration. I would do it asap. Dinos need literally no time to start. Absolutely remove the chemipure. If you need a quick fix to get some nitrates in your tank, your LFS should sell neo nitro by brighwell aquatics. This would give you the ability to dose up nitrates in the short term until you figure out your long term solution.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great don't add any more nitrates or phosphate slightly increase your feeding and know hobby grade test kits are not good at picking up low end phosphate and nitrates. I had 0 phosphate and sent in icp for another reason and they were .02. If you see your tank hurting you can consider making a change. You have no sps which are the ficky type and much more sensitive. One who starts chasing things due to inaccurate test kits will ruin a great tank.

OP
OP
C

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I did remove the chemipue 6 or 7 weeks ago. Only filtration is a bag of biosphere and filter floss. No skimmer. No immediate plan to add more fish

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also your tank looks great dont get me wrong, but your cuc dying and very low to no nutrients is preparing for a disaster level event. Just food for thought. you should be able to keep a cuc alive and they should die from other means than starvation.

OP
OP
C

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also your tank looks great dont get me wrong, but your cuc dying and very low to no nutrients is preparing for a disaster level event. Just food for thought. you should be able to keep a cuc alive and they should die from other means than starvation.
I agree with your concerns, that's why I'm reaching out for help.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, Id dose nitrates up to around 3ppm and keep me there. Another note, you have mostly LPS corals and they love nitrates. If i had only lps id sit at 10ppm.

OP
OP
C

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that feeding more or dosing N and P is a desirable plan, both to reduce the risk of Dino’s and ensure corals are getting enough.
So more like 1/2 a cube twice day and maybe up the roids to 3 times a week? Obviously testing as i go.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roids will only raise phosphates, you will need nitrates. More food will help yes especially in the long run. I would get something to up your nitrates asap, but thats me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back