0 nitrate and phosphate and how to create the mixture

El_reverde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Hello All.

What is the best approach to raise my 0 nitrate/phosphat?
I purchased food grade sodium nitrate and loudwolf sodium phosphate. And for the life of me I do not dare to make the mixture without being worried of killing off my already dying corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy. Longtime no chat, almost a year lol. After several weeks of manually dosing 5-6ml of Nit and 1-2ml Phos (both about 0) and the dino seems to be coming back and I am beginning to lose more of my SPS colonies. The #s were ok for a bit and some of my browned out SPS began to color up, but I think that my aquarium demands more than what I was manually dosing...maybe automate it.

Should I raise the Nit/phos ml's (my aquarium is 60gal bare bottom mixed reef) and how should I space it out through out the day. Btw, I auto dose Alk/Cal 2x a day.

Thanks in advance for any help with my ordeal

If you still read 0 ppm for nitrate and phosphate, I'd certainly dose more. I'm not sure spacing it out matters, but I doubt it can hurt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

El_reverde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Based on my 60gal how much more should I start off with? Also my UV lights scheduling with my cheato or a few hours before?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my 60gal how much more should I start off with? Also my UV lights scheduling with my cheato or a few hours before?

If you are dosing now and see nothing detectable 24 h later, I think dosing 50-100% more each day is a fine thing to try.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

El_reverde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Ah, ok. I was doing about 5-6ml of Nit and 1-2ml of Phos daily...so now 10ml of N and 4mk of Phos.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back