0 Nitrate Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, i have a 100L Nano that has been running 7 month. All my Parameters are fine apart from my Nitrate which has now dropped to 0, my question is can i add food grade Potassium Nitrate to raise? I am looking for confirmation really. I have tried over feeding etc and nothing is raising. Thank you so much for your time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, i have a 100L Nano that has been running 7 month. All my Parameters are fine apart from my Nitrate which has now dropped to 0, my question is can i add food grade Potassium Nitrate to raise? I am looking for confirmation really. I have tried over feeding etc and nothing is raising. Thank you so much for your time.

I'd prefer sodium nitrate, unless you are monitoring potassium.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add half a cup of NaNO3 to 1 gallon of RODI. A tablespoon of this into my 300 gallon will boost the level to about .5 ppm.

If you were to add a tablespoon of NaNO3 to a gallon of RODI, you would have a concentration that would work in your system. I would try a teaspoon and test after things had mixed up say 10 minutes. If you do not want so much stock solution. Add say 3/4 teaspoon to a quart of RODI.

Reactions: Ry1

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understand why Americans do such old fashioned measurements (sorry).

Cup, tablespoon, and gallons, really?
It sounds like the start of a sea shanty "with a gallon of grog and a cup of gruel".

How big a cup or spoon?
Give grams and millilitres a whirl, I promise you, it makes more sense than random items.

Might as well try baking a cake with a shoe of flour and a hat of sugar.

:)

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dabbled in adding nitrate or phos yet so I have no direct answer to which product to use. I have the same issue with low nitrate, If you want to try an alternative, I have had success with putting my skimmer on a timer and reducing the amount of time it runs. Start with one hour off a day and titrate. I stopped once nitrates were detectable and coral were looking better.

Reactions: Ry1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like the start of a sea shanty "with a gallon of grog and a cup of gruel".

How big a cup or spoon?
Give grams and millilitres a whirl, I promise you, it makes more sense than random items.

You can lead a reef pig to water, but you cannot make him drink.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How big a cup or spoon?

Ynow a shoe and a hat might not be so bad, let’s make a shoe 18 pinches, or 27 dashes, sound good?

Yes even a dash and a pinch are real measurements here :p

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How big a cup or spoon?

The metric system didn't help the Brits from getting their butt kicked in the Revolutionary war. I would say it's a matter of personal preference lol.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The metric system didn't help the Brits from getting their butt kicked in the Revolutionary war. I would say it's a matter of personal preference lol.

?

Was that humour? Help me out and point me to the funny bit would you please?

OP
OP
Ry1

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all your help...Much appreciated

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that was a joke, FWIW, the British didn't use the metric system during the Revolutionary war.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was the bit where the Brits got curb stomped :)

I just find it funny that you reference a historical event from 246 years ago, that maybe, just maybe, your great great great great great grandfather would have been involved in, and that you use that as a stick to try and be funny.

1) It wasn’t until 20 years after the start of the revolutionary war that the metric system was even first invented, but nobody adopted it

2) It wasn’t until 170 years after that, when the UK adopted the metric system

3) that in the year 2021, you’re still measuring things in cups and tablespoons

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find it funny that you reference a historical event from 246 years ago, that maybe, just maybe, your great great great great great grandfather would have been involved in, and that you use that as a stick to try and be funny.

1) It wasn’t until 20 years after the start of the revolutionary war that the metric system was even first invented, but nobody adopted it

2) It wasn’t until 170 years after that, when the UK adopted the metric system

3) that in the year 2021, you’re still measuring things in cups and tablespoons
It was just a joke really, no need to spend time writing a formal response. I was just joshing you mate. Besides, the metric system didn't put the first man on the moon either:)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?

Was that humour? Help me out and point me to the funny bit would you please?

It's funny (IMO), but misguided, as you guys were not using the metric system then. lol

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just a joke really, no need to spend time writing a formal response. I was just joshing you mate. Besides, the metric system didn't put the first man on the moon either:)

Three generations ago my family was living in Italy, so I've zero feelings about a war 246 years ago.

I made an actual funny about a ridiculous measurement system, and you thought it was funny to reference a war which neither of us, our parents, our parents parents, our parents parents parents (I could go on a few more time, but you get the idea), were even involved in.

Don't let facts get in the way of humour ah?

Reference the moon landing. Ok?
Do some research as to why the computing systems were so complicated on the Apollo, it was because of the ridiculous imperial system trying to integrate with components from the rest of the world using metric.
Other than America being a cash cow, history has shown that the vast majority of the engineering and design was from German scientists, which the US took in so that Russia couldn't.

Is that twice you've now tried to be funny, and twice I've proven you wrong with facts and logic?

Again though, let's not allow facts to get in the way of a cheap dig.

Keep em coming.

Anyway, don't you have any reef keeping you could be doing?

Would maybe stop your "yapper", be sure to measure your salt with a "bushel" and not a "tablespoon", you might think I'm "uppity", and I'm all "tore up" about it, now why don't you run along and go cook some "tators" or gimme some of that "sweet talkin", "y'all" have a good day now.

See, cheap humour :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back