0 Nitrates, should I stop skimmer

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 nitrates, I’m running a fuge with cheato for 5hrs a day and now I’m wondering if I should turn off my Protein Skimmer??? The 75g tank has been running for 2-1/2 months with live rock- 4 clown fish, 1 yellow tank and a few clean up crew, and have a good amount of soft coral. Anythjng I have to worry about or just let it be?

2DD2A244-0AB8-4DF8-9742-0E1B6A83C9E0.jpeg

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can go either way. The more interesting related parameters is the pH. Turn off skimmer will usually take a big hit on pH. Since your tank is still young, I would just leave it be. Nutrient level might slowly build up for example.

Another option is feed more. It's probably better option.

Just to make sure, with the API kit, you did shake the reagent really well before test as said in the instructions, right? Because if you don't, the reading will come out low, or even 0. I got in that trap for half a year before realizing I was doing it wrong.

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can go either way. The more interesting related parameters is the pH. Turn off skimmer will usually take a big hit on pH. Since your tank is still young, I would just leave it be. Nutrient level might slowly build up for example.

Another option is feed more. It's probably better option.

Just to make sure, with the API kit, you did shake the reagent really well before test as said in the instructions, right? Because if you don't, the reading will come out low, or even 0. I got in that trap for half a year before realizing I was doing it wrong.
Thanks for the response, and yes believe me I shook it really well after testing every week lol. What if I put my skimmer on a timer??

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, in my large system the protein skimmer was turned off for the first 2 months or so as I wanted to get nitrates into the system as fast as possible to avoid sterile water and many of the resulting problems we read about. I also added a lot of fish as well

A good general nitrate target is around 5-10 so maybe leave the skimmer of until nitrates start to show up

Keep your phosphate locked down very low, and again you will avoid many problems

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your fuge is looking good, there is no need to turn off the skimmer. You have NO3, just not enough to read on the API test. If you would like more NO3, I would reduce the chaeto in the fuge. The chaeto will try to consume as much NO3 as it can.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never turn off a skimmer just to deal with low nutrients. The best use of a skimmer, IMO, is for aeration.

Feeding more or dosing nitrate are far better options, IMO.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my no3 is zero, i feed my panther grouper 1 large supermarket shrimp. Two days later no3 jumps to 5ppm ish. I never turn off the skimmer.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have healthy cheato turning off the skimmer will just give the cheato more fertilizer. Net result will just be faster growing cheato.

Faster growing cheato means more c02 reduction.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back