20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Blue is what allows the corals to grow, white is generally for our eyes only. There's been some serious discussion about whether or not white light PAR actually does anything at all. When measuring PAR for corals, the best practice is to turn off the white completely and only measure PAR with the blue lights on at their setpoint. Once that's measured, add the white back in for your likes as the coral could care less but the algae loves it!
This is a very good post.
Very well said.
 
My white is linked with the royal blue. As of now it is at 20% max. Regular blue is at 65% max.
Remi can you give a list of your tank parameters, just maybe the simple one's we might all test for?
I'm just curious is all.
 
You guys and your whites... Mine are set at 10% max and my blues and UV are 100% max and my red and green are 10-15% max.
Other than about an hour at mid day, when my whites go to 20%, that's almost identical to my schedule. I have the mid day sunshine for my wife to enjoy the fairy wrasse's color when she feeds them while im at work. Gotta keep that lady interested in the tank lol

But yeah, I'm team windex.
 
I took down the nicrews went back to T5's.
Don't like the white or blue, all just seemed too intense for me, too fake, not soft enough
Can't really explain it but there you go.
You like the t5s better and you're the one buying them AND looking at them. That is the reason to get them, brother! I think your tank looks amazing and the t5s give your beautiful fish a chance to shine.
 
Tank looks better already....
20250210_082608.jpg
This is as intense as I want my lighting to get.
That is awesome! Is supplementing leds with t5s a thing? You've got me thinking here.
 
That is awesome! Is supplementing leds with t5s a thing? You've got me thinking here.
Yes it is.
Lots of hybrid fixtures out there.
Lots of people run them together.
T5's for the growth, the look, and the LEDs for adjustability, ramp schedules whatever.
Lighting has ALWAYS been my big struggle in this hobby.
 
I posted a thread a few days ago about low lightning.
Got really no response.
No matter how much research I do, lightning confuses me.
I've been in this hobby for so long, all we had when I started was white t8 bulbs.
When they came out with 50/50's, wow, cool beans.
Never had algae growth back then so T5's here we go.
 
I haven't been changing water for a few weeks but today is the day.
We'll see what happens over the next week.
I'm having all sorts of issues in both tanks since they are on separate systems now
Funny.
Both freshwater tanks are great.....
Frustrating but hilarious as well.
 
Joel,
The figure provided by ICP and the range of what I am getting on my tests.
Nitrate at 20. Normally 20 to 25 except after my summer holidays.
Phosphate at 0.64 all the time between 0.6 and 1.
Alkalinity 8.5 all the time between 8 to 9.
Calcium 411 all the time between 400 to 420.
Magnesium 1300 all the time between 1280 to 1320.
I am using red sea blue bucket.
 
Joel,
The figure provided by ICP and the range of what I am getting on my tests.
Nitrate at 20. Normally 20 to 25 except after my summer holidays.
Phosphate at 0.64 all the time between 0.6 and 1.
Alkalinity 8.5 all the time between 8 to 9.
Calcium 411 all the time between 400 to 420.
Magnesium 1300 all the time between 1280 to 1320.
I am using red sea blue bucket.
Thanks Remi!
Let me study this, think for a bit.
Seems normal to me except for magnesium.
That's pretty low.
Phosphate is still high but I keep thinking if it remains steady don't things get used to it?
Don't know lemme think :thinking-face:
Maybe someone else will chime in....
 
Thanks Remi!
Let me study this, think for a bit.
Seems normal to me except for magnesium.
That's pretty low.
Phosphate is still high but I keep thinking if it remains steady don't things get used to it?
Don't know lemme think :thinking-face:
Maybe someone else will chime in....
Magnesium disappears fast as I add 15ml red sea magnesium every day just to keep it level. It is the level of blue bucket 1250/1350. If I go to black bucket alkalinity will go to 12. I was really expecting something not good of the ICP but all green except barium.
 
I haven't been changing water for a few weeks but today is the day.
We'll see what happens over the next week.
I'm having all sorts of issues in both tanks since they are on separate systems now
Funny.
Both freshwater tanks are great.....
Frustrating but hilarious as well.
I hope t5 and water change will solve your issues.
 
Guaranteed the whites on those nicrews just fed the wrong algae.
I've never had brown algae this bad ever.
I'm probably wrong....
Not wrong!
 
I'd love to hear the Smorgasbord strategy for aiptasia. What do you all do, or have done?
Note: There is no aiptasia in the second shot. I just thought it was an awesome picture lol!
Screenshot_20250210_113145_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250210_113325_Gallery.jpg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new