20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
I'd love to hear the Smorgasbord strategy for aiptasia. What do you all do, or have done?
Note: There is no aiptasia in the second shot. I just thought it was a ******* picture!
Screenshot_20250210_113145_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250210_113325_Gallery.jpg
Very simple order you a herd of Berghia!
Simplest way!
Apart of my Kiss method…lol
 
Very simple order you a herd of Berghia!
Simplest way!
Apart of my Kiss method…lol
Awesome! That's what I thinking about trying. I have a 40 gallon, do know about how many would be good to start off with?
 
Awesome! That's what I thinking about trying. I have a 40 gallon, do know about how many would be good to start off with?
6 that are a quarter inch or less. And maybe two half inches with them.
 
Getting caught up. Changed RO, washed socks, next skimmer. Tomorrow hoping for water change and GHA mowing.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5881.jpeg
    IMG_5881.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5882.jpeg
    IMG_5882.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 43
Here is another video that I just shot.
There is a mute button if the music hurts your years but I like this Jam!
Turn it up! Lol

Look at all that eye candy! Yoooooou!!!
Ill Save You Merry Christmas GIF by Robert E Blackmon
 
6 that are a quarter inch or less. And maybe two half inches with them.
Thats great! I will try this and let you know. I tried to destroy one and that came back to bite me in the form of 10 more!
 
I'd love to hear the Smorgasbord strategy for aiptasia. What do you all do, or have done?
Note: There is no aiptasia in the second shot. I just thought it was a ******* picture!
Screenshot_20250210_113145_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250210_113325_Gallery.jpg
My go to is peppermint shrimp, quick and second Berghia nudibranchs , takes a couple generations. I’ve used both.
 
My go to is peppermint shrimp, quick and second Berghia nudibranchs , takes a couple generations. I’ve used both.
Kevin, I bought a peppermint shrimp. He's small and usually stays in one place. He is on the side where the Aiptasia is, but hasn't come out much or eaten the Aiptasia yet. Did yours go after it right away? I'm hoping mine will help keep.it at bay, if nothing else. Along with some berghia
 
Kevin, I bought a peppermint shrimp. He's small and usually stays in one place. He is on the side where the Aiptasia is, but hasn't come out much or eaten the Aiptasia yet. Did yours go after it right away? I'm hoping mine will help keep.it at bay, if nothing else. Along with some berghia
Mine took a day or two and then eliminated tons fast.
 
Mine took a day or two and then eliminated tons fast.
Man, I'm hoping to see them dwindle soon Tim. They're getting close to a torch and some acans. I'm really glad to hear that you had success with them. Mine is really small lol. He looks like a real PM shrimp fingers crossed.
 
I posted a thread a few days ago about low lightning.
Got really no response.
No matter how much research I do, lightning confuses me.
I've been in this hobby for so long, all we had when I started was white t8 bulbs.
When they came out with 50/50's, wow, cool beans.
Never had algae growth back then so T5's here we go.
I didn't see that thread
 
Man, I'm hoping to see them dwindle soon Tim. They're getting close to a torch and some acans. I'm really glad to hear that you had success with them. Mine is really small lol. He looks like a real PM shrimp fingers crossed.
Berghia take a while. Like Kevin said, sometimes a few generations in. I put mine in (3) and saw almost immediate improvement, then an explosion of Aiptasia it seemed like, then slowly it started dwindling again and then, almost overnight it seemed like, all Aiptasia just disappeared.

I was raising 6 or 7 in my 6 gallon while @tharbin was deciding if he wanted them or not and I threw close to 100 Aiptasia in. That was gone in about 2 days. :face-with-tears-of-joy: They were eating them faster than I could harvest from the 135 and the 135 was being steadily and quickly consumed by the remaining Berghia in there.
 
I found one bubble algae at the base of one of my torches today but I had to leave the house early and couldn't get it off. Is there any reason for this type of algae to appear or could it have come with some coral?
 
I found one bubble algae at the base of one of my torches today but I had to leave the house early and couldn't get it off. Is there any reason for this type of algae to appear or could it have come with some coral?
They show up when they feel like it. Usually they come in with a coral though.
 
Y’all were discussing shelves a few pages back. I have aquarocks peninsula and it’s awesome. 12 mount points and it let me add a bunch of acros high up, and it extends well into the tank putting frags in ideal lighting placement

Heads up the coraline coloring appears in photographs…weird lol but it’s not like this in person. My camera or lighting or some combination makes it come out looking nuclear in pics.

It looks like their website pic in person. In my photographs it looks like it came out of Chernobyl

D9C040DF-B772-470E-A740-5258A9E1BAB7.png


C2338F5E-B702-4FC2-A0C4-A5EDB9DE0B83.jpeg


Above the large mint hammer colony
B5BA7982-631B-445F-BDDE-001E303C401B.jpeg
Im looking at the 12 frag mount. did you just glue it in place on existing rock in your tank? and do you feel it gives the corals enough room to grow out nicely?
 
@tbrown Reading your answer about the lights, I realize that I was wrong. I knew that blue lights are necessary for the zooxanthellae living within corals for photosynthesis, but I don't know where I read or someone told me that white lights were more important.
 
Sorry Joel, you're such a positive person. I didn't realize you were having these problems. Everything looks so good!
Thanks John you're always so great!
 
Im looking at the 12 frag mount. did you just glue it in place on existing rock in your tank? and do you feel it gives the corals enough room to grow out nicely?
I got the peninsula and it’s magnetic. Each frag plug spot is actually in a little dish / cup shape. It has room for things to encrust or grow out
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new