20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
It looks like great stuff Steve! I was just unfamiliar with it. Yeah swap one to one for whatever amount you remove with the NSW. If you take a little too much out of your tank and need to add more water. It's perfectly fine to use mixed saltwater in addition.
Sorry I think I misunderstood your question as well. That is up to you pretty much Steve. If you want to switch your tank all the way to NSW, don't add any mixed saltwater. It'll be a complete swap over time as you do the wc's. Or you can just use it as a "treat" for your tank, and only add a jug every so often.

That was my plan at first, but since my corals love it and I dont have to mix salt, Im probably just going to switch to 100% NSW. I was actually able cut the volume of my water changes in half because the biodiversity from the water has significantly lowered my nutrients. There's not much need to change good water.
 
I've heard of this but don't quite understand it yet!
Ammonium converts to nitrite and then to nitrate similarly to ammonia but it is more readily used by corals than either ammonia or sodium nitrate from my understanding.
 
Randy and Baruch (Miami Reef) both did several write-ups about it.
 
It looks like great stuff Steve! I was just unfamiliar with it. Yeah swap one to one for whatever amount you remove with the NSW. If you take a little too much out of your tank and need to add more water. It's perfectly fine to use mixed saltwater in addition.
I just did a bit of investigating. I may want to switch to the one you use even though it’s a bit more expensive. The one I got is basically just the water sanitized without any extras.
Parameters-
1790550625841.png
 
I just did a bit of investigating. I may want to switch to the one you use even though it’s a bit more expensive. The one I got is basically just the water sanitized without any extras.
Parameters-
1790550625841.png
Interesting. So they filter it then run it through a UV sterilizer or something. All the benefits of saltwater, none of the benefits of ocean water.
 
Interesting. So they filter it then run it through a UV sterilizer or something. All the benefits of saltwater, none of the benefits of ocean water.
Looks like it. I have one more to use but I’m going to get the one John uses and try that one next time. It a bit pricier but since I’m using for a nano tank I only need one at a time.
 
Ammonium converts to nitrite and then to nitrate similarly to ammonia but it is more readily used by corals than either ammonia or sodium nitrate from my understanding.
Oh ok so it's a more efficient and probably cheaper way to "dose" nitrates basically?
 
I just did a bit of investigating. I may want to switch to the one you use even though it’s a bit more expensive. The one I got is basically just the water sanitized without any extras.
Parameters-
1790550625841.png
It's just filtered and uv treated. Im sure it still has the beneficial bacteria in some measure. I will say the Nature's ocean does seem to emphasize the bacteria levels of their product more so than the other but im not sure. Ill also say a 5 gallon jug of the nature's ocean is only $14 at my lfs and I dont have to pay shipping, so ot has been more affordable for me.
 
Interesting. So they filter it then run it through a UV sterilizer or something. All the benefits of saltwater, none of the benefits of ocean water.
Yeah that IS interesting, honestly.
 
Looks like it. I have one more to use but I’m going to get the one John uses and try that one next time. It a bit pricier but since I’m using for a nano tank I only need one at a time.
I only change 5 gallons every 2 weeks in my 40 with it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new