20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
The couple of times I had Cyano I used chemiclean and it worked well. Then upped the water changes.
It definitely works, and that was my next option if the bacteria didn't work, but I'm going natural any chance given!
 
I was watching when Joe Theismans leg was broken and when Josh Naler’s leg was broken he and ankle was dislocated. Both were shown over and over. I’ve seen enough.
I had the misfortune of seeing a co worker's fingertip bit off. Some things you can't unsee!
 
It definitely works, and that was my next option if the bacteria didn't work, but I'm going natural any chance given!
Admittedly it was early in my reefing hobby time. I’d probably do Microbacter or similar now.
 
I had the misfortune of seeing a co worker's fingertip bit off. Some things you can't unsee!
Bit off? What did you do for a living?
The worst I’ve ever seen was a kid get his hand caught in a working printing press when I worked a printshop for a year….
 
Last edited:
Thanks Shelley!

Yep, Im broadcast feeding the corals a bit more to keep PO4 and N03 at appropriate levels. Im also about to start dosing ammonium bicarbonate and urea to feed the corals in nitrogen form. This will raise N03 a bit as needed and feed the corals more directly than having to depend on "dirty water" to support their health. The only reason to trouble oneself with nutritious water is to feed the corals. This approach (along with bacterial feeding) will give me the ability to give the nutrients to the corals and not the water.

I beat cyano with this. It took about 10 days.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/micr...9jOLiqNFsjsUHhENzcDZaodOllPlGlCaOHwRbT1ndoY-s

Looking back, NSW would've probably taken care of it too.
I ise ammonium bicarbonate but where do you get urea? And why?

I make my own snow.
 
Bit off? What did you do for a living?
The worst I’ve ever seen was a kid working printing press when I worked a printshop for a year….
Law enforcement. Jerk bit off a nurses finger the previous year. Sent him to the pen.
 
Got to get some sleep. Long day today. Helped with kitchen cabinets in the cabin. Still have more work to do. But it will have to wait. Kitty is sick and is going to the doctors tomorrow.



IMG_6796.jpeg
There's nothing better than a big supper and a goodnight rest after a hard day's work. Goodnight my friend!
 
Good morning everyone. Still not feeling good and I'm running a fever. So I will be staying home today but will probably not be on much. Hugs to you all and I hope Monday is good to you guys.
 
Have any of you dealt with waving hand anthelia taking over your tank? My tank has faced a bit of neglect and this has taken over. Usually I would come in and rip it off but it would always come back. This time I let it get much too large. Also, my clowns are hosting it now. That makes it even more difficult to deal with.
I’ll take some! If you figure a way to get it out alive I’ll pay shipping. Or just prune it with a pair of those scissors that seem to come standard in almost every maintenance kit.
I could definitely get some chunks out alive. Are you sure you don’t have anybody local that could give you some? I’ve never shipped coral so I’m not sure how it would go and waving hand anthelia is really cheap if you can find it locally. I’m not sure how much shipping costs these days.
 
Good morning everyone. Still not feeling good and I'm running a fever. So I will be staying home today but will probably not be on much. Hugs to you all and I hope Monday is good to you guys.
Good morning, get well Amanda!
Double Take Wow GIF by Zack Kantor
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new