08trdoffroad's Rimless 60 gal Mixed Reef Build

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Decided last minute to add the T for a manifold down the road to run a BRS Carbon/GFO Reactor.

Just placed an order for my ATO container. It is the last major piece I needed for this build.
I have an ATO compartment in my sump that holds almost 7 gallons, but I've realized I want a larger one with another ATK kit, so that my ATO gets topped off by a larger ATO. Kinda dumb, but this is how things get. :zany-face:

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATO compartment in my sump that holds almost 7 gallons, but I've realized I want a larger one with another ATK kit, so that my ATO gets topped off by a larger ATO. Kinda dumb, but this is how things get. :zany-face:
I can only fit a 5 gal reservoir (one of the downsides of a cube tank), but as long as it will last 4 or 5 days, I'm okay with it.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get like 3 days with a full ATO compartment. I'm really glad I went with a 36" sump. I think my evaporation rate would be a lot more than yours though since I have a lot more surface area, so you may fare a lot better. The nice thing about being patient is that before you put animals in the tank, you can experiment to see how things work and behave. And that's a good thing!

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get like 3 days with a full ATO compartment. I'm really glad I went with a 36" sump. I think my evaporation rate would be a lot more than yours though since I have a lot more surface area, so you may fare a lot better. The nice thing about being patient is that before you put animals in the tank, you can experiment to see how things work and behave. And that's a good thing!
I am in a hurry, but not at the same time...I have my Biocube 29 still running and only plan to move the fish over to this new build. I got an email from Premium Aquatics stating my ATO container is on backorder and it might be three weeks before they can fill my order (but I am willing to wait as I paid about $50 less for it than anywhere else...) So, it will likely be another 3 weeks or more before I can add water to the build as the only way I can get my ATO container where it needs to go is by moving the stand out away from the wall, placing it, and then sliding the tank/stand back into place. I really don't want to fill the tank, mix salt, add sand and rock, just to have to drain it all in a few weeks to move the stand out 6 inches to place the ATO container...so close, but yet so far it seems...

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In thinking about it, the ATO chambers in sumps, really serve no purpose other than to allow you to go to work or away for a weekend without things croaking, but not much more. If you want to go away for a week, or two, you need like a lot. lol At least I do. I have to do something about that. I trust the ATK kit totally, so I'll just get another when the need arises...and a bigger container. 40 gallons would be good.

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In thinking about it, the ATO chambers in sumps, really serve no purpose other than to allow you to go to work or away for a weekend without things croaking, but not much more. If you want to go away for a week, or two, you need like a lot. lol At least I do. I have to do something about that. I trust the ATK kit totally, so I'll just get another when the need arises...and a bigger container. 40 gallons would be good.
Yeah, my plan for extended travel would just be placing my 32 gal Brute or a 15 gal rubbermaid tote next to the tank and just throwing the ato pump in it while I was gone to make sure I had adequate top off water available.

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on my ATO container. So I installed a Aquatic Life Smart Buddie RO booster pump. Took my feed pressure from 55 psi to 95 psi on my Spectrapure 90 GPD membrane! This should greatly improve my RO unit's performance. Seeing 1 TDS out the membrane and 0 out the DI stage! I am ready to fill this system!

20240127_165235.jpg
20240127_172158.jpg

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on the ATO container, but ordered a bucket of salt (trying Nyos Pure) some Fritz Fishless Fuel (Ammonia) and a 4 oz bottle of Turbostart 900. So I literally have everything I need, minus the container to fill and get this tank cycled....been over three weeks now waiting on the ATO container....trying to get the vendor to drop ship one directly from Trigger to speed things up. But we shall see...

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first bucket of Nyos Pure arrived today! I have high hopes for this salt! I love that you can view the batch specific ICP results for the bucket you buy! This bucket is right in the sweet spot of where I plan to keep my parameters!

20240220_195250.jpg
20240220_195307.jpg

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got an update from the vendor regarding my ATO container. They can't drop ship from Trigger, but should get a shipment from them this week or next. So maybe two more weeks until the ATO container arrives....

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's had been a long road getting set up, can't wait to see it running!
Too long... I have missed out on so many nice corals because I don't want to put anything in my Biocube due to the pest problem in there and tried to save money and got stuck waiting six weeks on the final piece to this build.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too long... I have missed out on so many nice corals because I don't want to put anything in my Biocube due to the pest problem in there and tried to save money and got stuck waiting six weeks.
Always more corals, though. I get caught up in "don't miss that sale" often enough.

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built the final thing I need for this build before it gets wet! I made a little shelf that my ato container will sit on in the back of the stand. ATO container should be here Tuesday!

20240302_124201.jpg

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally! The ATO container arrived! My wife was nice enough to unpack it and put it in place as I have to work all night (16 hr day today...blah)! Fit perfectly on the shelf! Will start making water tonight when I get home and hopefully it will be salty by this weekend!

Resized_20240305_135244_1709671975136.jpeg
Resized_20240305_135215_1709671974530.jpeg

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't gotten around to upgrading my RO storage yet to a Brute 32 Gal. But, I did clean out my current collection container (20 gal tote) and have fresh, 0 TDS, RO/DI water being made as we speak. It will take me a few days to make the 80ish gallons I will need to completely fill the system, but the first batch will go in this afternoon as soon as I get home. I was too exhausted to really do much of anything when I got home late last night.

OP
OP
08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a second batch of water before I left for work this morning! Have about 40 gallons in there now! Should have another 20 gal ready to add when I get home this afternoon!

20240307_072720.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back