0olite sand ( Bahama sand)

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be clearing my Bamboo sharks from quarantine and I’m changing out some of the course aragonite and replacing with Caribsea Olite. .05-1.0 size. I’m the display.

Has anyone used the olite sand? How did you like it? Did it create cloudiness in the tank? Did it blow around with the power heads?

Also any tips on how to add to a fully stocked 400+ gallon Dt would be appreciated..

Thank you

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the olite sand? How did you like it? Did it create cloudiness in the tank? Did it blow around with the power heads?
If not thoroughly washed, the sand will make the water cloudly. Even well washed sand can cause a haze. In either case, the water clears.

Power heads can create sand dunes. Maybe it doesn’t matter.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your coral but if you have any significant amount of flow it's going to get pushed around. If you have heavy flow it will sandstorm. Even with Fiji pink you have to be careful about how much you crank the power heads. With oolite you are very limited

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your coral but if you have any significant amount of flow it's going to get pushed around. If you have heavy flow it will sandstorm. Even with Fiji pink you have to be careful about how much you crank the power heads. With oolite you are very limited
That’s what I’m worried about. My Gyres and power heads are all pointed up. I only keep softies. ( mushrooms, Xenia). I do get some current at the sand bed minimal compared to the surface. . I guess I’ll have to give it a test.

Thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back