450 Gallon Miracle Ray/Shark Reef Build Thread

pandaparties

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
So sometime last year I promised my son we could upgrade our 40g mixed reef tank to get a stingray if he hit some personal milestones, all the while thinking that mid 100 gallons would do the trick and come in at a pretty reasonable price. Well he hit his personal milestone and I started the process of researching everything only to find out I needed WAY more space than expected to accommodate those fish and some reef. So here I am 12k deep starting my build process on my 108x30x24 Custom Miracles Aquarium with a 72x24x18 sump for a total gallonage of around 450! Tank has been ordered and should be in within a few months so I will be documenting my plans and build here and updating you all on the process.

The plan is to have a cortez ray and Coral Catshark along with some mixed reef thrown in as best I can while still giving them space and not having them destroy my precious SPS. Also probably throw in some tangs and larger docile fish. Going to be running ReefI Duo's with T5's hybrid setup for lighting, im thinking an reef octopus 5000SSS for skimmer, and starting with 2 MP40's for flow.

¾” glass all around
Starphire all around
Tempered bottom with 5 holes (animal bean w/ 2 returns)
internal overflow
Armor seams
Eurobraced starphire

tank.PNG

Lazys Coral House
OP
P

pandaparties

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
1616639490683.png

Sump Design all done and got most of my equipment in, just waiting on the tank which will be about another month.

Lights: 4x REEFI Duo Extremes + 2x48 inch aquatic life t5 fixutres (4 blue+, 2 coral+, 2 actnic)
Filtration: Reef Octopus 5000SSS, 4x filter sockies
Return Pump: Varios S8
Power Heads: 4x MP40
Rock: 200lbs brs reef saver
Sand: Fiji Pink, need soft for sharks but dense enough for SPS to avoid sandstorms
ATO: Tunze osmollater
Controller: Apex + neptune
Dosing: having pulled the trigger on the yet but thinking of aquatic engineering calc reactor once i have enough demand

I'll also have to post a picture of my mixing station which got pretty intricate. 2 150g containers one fresh one salt, but its outside in the AZ heat so i have a chiller set up inside a chest freezer (with the lid replaced with fans that pull air out) that recirculates the water at 1500gph and keeps it reasonably cool so far (though its only hit 90 outside, with me luck).

Also, this hobby is way to expensive. I spent way more than I thought possible on this stupid tank

Would you consider your aquarium water to be "Crystal Clear?"

• YES (tell us how you do it)

Votes: 229 47.5%
  • NO (join the club?)

Votes: 240 49.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 2.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM