1” Return Bulkhead to 3/4” Line Loc

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had a 1” bulkhead as an overflow but I am repurposing it as the return bulkhead. (As opposed to an over-the-top return jet)

Does this look like a good return setup? Lots of little adapters and such. But mainly because there’s no 1” line loc parts on BRS. Gonna just use 3/4” soft tube for the whole return.
7EA5729A-4221-4958-A0B2-AD266C6E9C70.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rja how big is your tank? Im wondering about what 3/4” return will do to your water turnover from DT to sump.

Why not PVC?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
On my 1" return lines, after the bulkhead I used a 1" to 3/4" adapter, then a 3/4" Y and then a pair of 3/4" flare nozzles.
There is 1" loc-line fittings out there.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rja how big is your tank? Im wondering about what 3/4” return will do to your water turnover from DT to sump.

Why not PVC?
Because I the line has to do some weird turns around my overflow pipes because the return is on the opposite side of the pump and my overflow is in the middle. Also scared of the extra leverage on the bulkhead. Considering that tanks are basically ambient pressure, I never really see PVC as totally necessary and honestly I don't like having no availability to change anything. I could do threaded connections but why add potential for leaks when I can just do soft lines?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had a 1” bulkhead as an overflow but I am repurposing it as the return bulkhead. (As opposed to an over-the-top return jet)

Does this look like a good return setup? Lots of little adapters and such. But mainly because there’s no 1” line loc parts on BRS. Gonna just use 3/4” soft tube for the whole return.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 1" return lines, after the bulkhead I used a 1" to 3/4" adapter, then a 3/4" Y and then a pair of 3/4" flare nozzles.
There is 1" loc-line fittings out there.
Eventually I would like to do a Y return jet but to just get the tank running, I’m gonna go with one. But I love the versatility of two!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We offer a 1in Jumbo modulate hose, as well as 1in threaded MPT fittings to go along with it.

1686835127176.png
We also offer our new Multidapter fitting, which give you the ability to add a flush-mounted modular hose fitting to almost any bulkhead or pipe socket. In the case of a bulkhead, its the cleanest look you can get

1686835074976.png

The 3035 Series Multidapter are compatible with 1in bulkheads available with either a 3/4in Loc-line or 1in Jumbo modular hose connector

They work best with Slip fitting bulkhead, but work just a well with threaded ones too.

Available at BRS at:

Or at VCA

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can get some of this for a lot cheaper at a hardware store ...

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We offer a 1in Jumbo modulate hose, as well as 1in threaded MPT fittings to go along with it.

1686835127176.png
We also offer our new Multidapter fitting, which give you the ability to add a flush-mounted modular hose fitting to almost any bulkhead or pipe socket. In the case of a bulkhead, its the cleanest look you can get

1686835074976.png

The 3035 Series Multidapter are compatible with 1in bulkheads available with either a 3/4in Loc-line or 1in Jumbo modular hose connector

They work best with Slip fitting bulkhead, but work just a well with threaded ones too.

Available at BRS at:

Or at VCA
Do you add the threaded side inside of the slip bulkhead?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I the line has to do some weird turns around my overflow pipes because the return is on the opposite side of the pump and my overflow is in the middle. Also scared of the extra leverage on the bulkhead. Considering that tanks are basically ambient pressure, I never really see PVC as totally necessary and honestly I don't like having no availability to change anything. I could do threaded connections but why add potential for leaks when I can just do soft lines?
Okay Thanks for your thoughts. Completely agree with the no pressure issues and a single run with no joints is definitely nice. My only concern (more opinion than fact) is making sure the soft hose properly bonds to your bulkheads etc (I’m guessing pvc cement won’t work). Also fwiw I used flex PVC under my tank on the return lines to reduce any vibration from the pump and also a bit of leeway for connecting things.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Thanks for your thoughts. Completely agree with the no pressure issues and a single run with no joints is definitely nice. My only concern (more opinion than fact) is making sure the soft hose properly bonds to your bulkheads etc (I’m guessing pvc cement won’t work). Also fwiw I used flex PVC under my tank on the return lines to reduce any vibration from the pump and also a bit of leeway for connecting things.
typically, you use hose clamps with vinyl tubing. It should press fit right onto the barbed fitting on the return pump and the street elbow to barb should hold the tube just fine with or without a clamp. But I will be using 2 regardless.

Plus, soft tube absorbs vibrations. Of course having 90% PVC to silicone tube from your pump to PVC is a good idea too

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get some of this for a lot cheaper at a hardware store ...
I’m sure I could find it all cheaper but that saves me having to drive around or order from a bunch of different websites. It’s the convenience of getting it all delivered in one package with the return guarantee from BRS.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add the threaded side inside of the slip bulkhead?
Yes, however, those ridges are not threads. They are more like barbs like you would find on a hose barb.

The Multidapter is made of a stiff rubber-like material, so when you insert the Multidapter into a bulkhead or pipe socket, it just locks into place and hold on - even under high pressure.

It's a very versatile fitting
1686837080146.png

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Multidapter is made of a stiff rubber-like material, so when you insert the Multidapter into a bulkhead or pipe socket, it just locks into place and hold on - even under high pressure.

It's a very versatile fitting
1686837080146.png
do you suggest teflon tape for the NPT, should not matter since its on wet side in my case.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did this with VCA which literally pushed right in and held tightly and added random flow generators

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you suggest teflon tape for the NPT, should not matter since its on wet side in my case.
If you go with a Multidapter - you would not use any tape, it would hinder it's ability to connect.

If you go with a threaded NPT, then tape is optional. it not really needed for leak protection, since it on the wet side, but a few wraps can help the threads screw in a little more smoothly.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a 1" thread to 3/4" Locline single piece solution - in black. I just got this for my planted tank about 3 weeks ago.

I got the part via All Sea Marine - Wholesaler - perhaps your LFS uses them as a supplier. If not, the particular single part clean solution is out there, I have it :)

Dave B

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back