1.025 to 1.022 Salinity

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank, no skimmer no dosing so i do big water changes. My usual salinity is 1.025. I missed a week on my weekly water change, things didnt look as good as usual, but nothing looked bad. Did a minor (for me) 40% water change. Things looked worse. 24 hrs layer tonight i do a 60% water change. When done i check salinity and its 1.022. The salinity of the water from my LFS is 1.021. I did find a snail dead and now it makes sense. Will it be ok until tomorrow when A DIFFERENT LFS opens? Yes, i know i should be testing before adding water. Im crazy busy and really trusted this LFS, been getting water there twice a month for 10 months. Whats the best way to get salinity back up to 1.025?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank now vs tank before water changes

20190910_192036.jpg 20190901_155931.jpg

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do 20% a day water change at your 1.025 and rase it slowly. I am assuming you do not mix your own salt? Buy salt for these emergency situations. If the saltwater is low from your fish store than add salt, mix, and bring it up to your level. Then add it to tank during water change. If possible use same salt the store uses. 1.021 is common for many stores as the lower SG is believed to keep down parasites. Etc. My tank is 1.026, reef, LPS. That is the same as sea water and is easier to keep dkh, calcium, ph levels stable. You could raise your tank to 1.026. But 1.025 is ok. What is your current ph? Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly this is the 3rd thread in as many days I've seen where LFS provided water is the main suspect in an issue.

Consider the option of getting even a simple portable RODI unit to make your own water.
My water is 400+ tds. Not really sure what to get.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing for you to do is just let your tank rest.

When we make mistakes, we often tend to add a quick bandaid to try and attempt to get the parameters back to where we want them. The key to reefing is to do things SLOWLY. As others have said, slowly increase your salinity and ensure your other parameters are okay.

I would suggest you start making your own water. If you have very poor TDS, you can always get your water from a water & ice and make the water yourself. Please be aware that room temperature is where you should be checking your salinity.

Overall, do not panic. Your tank is fine. Changing things way too quickly will just make the situation worse.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The BRS 6 or 7 stage systems for something that high. The small portable ones won't keep up.
Is that mostly sediment and mineral from well water? Any chlorine or chloramines that you know of?

If it's mostly sendiment and mineral, adding an extra sediment filter before the full RO system may take some load off your membrane. Call up BRS, they'll sort you out with exactly what you need based on as much information as you can give them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Crazy high TDS. Invest in RO unit but in mean time buy RO water from LFS as many sell it, and if not, 5 gal jugs of water from Walmart refill machine

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 on the RODI, it is an investment, but you will never have to deal with this issue again. it is completely worth every penny, and at the end of the day, you will know exactly what your water is mixing to and you won't have a parameter swing like this. Also I always test the salinity before I begin draining water for the change as well as always testing the BIG 3 (Alk, Calc, and Mag) and if they are not what I currently have in my tank, I use the BRS calculator to dose the water for the change to bring them up to the current tank levels so there is no swing. I know it seems like a lot of work, but I like to make sure the tank is good. and I enjoy doing that with my boys anyway. I use IO purple bucket, so its typically lower than IO reef crystals.

The next salt I'm going to use is Tropic Marin or Red Sea. still researching to see what would benefit the tank more (I am running a 29 gal right now and I have a lot of salt to burn through still, so I have some time to think about it! haha)

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS 6 or 7 stage systems for something that high. The small portable ones won't keep up.
Is that mostly sediment and mineral from well water? Any chlorine or chloramines that you know of?

If it's mostly sendiment and mineral, adding an extra sediment filter before the full RO system may take some load off your membrane. Call up BRS, they'll sort you out with exactly what you need based on as much information as you can give them.

I don't know how to tell. Sure seems like too much arsenic tho

Screenshot_20190912-002305_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20190912-002251_Drive.jpg

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i'm lucky if i see TDS below 400
any RODI system will be fine. the most important part are the filters inside the canisters.

FWIW... this has been working great for me, and i'm getting great lifetime out of everything.
(i have a sprectrapure unit)

- spectrapure 0.2 micron sediment
- BRS 1 micron carbon block
- spectrapure 90gpd RO membrane
- spectrapure maxcap DI
- spectrapure silicabuster DI

once my current DI is exhausted, i will more than likely replace them with their newest Mega maxcap and Enduro DI, which are supposed to be even better.

J.

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tds from tap water is reading 375, I run a 4stage culligan ro and get tds of 3. I do not use RoDi for the fact of constant dosing. But we all have Our own ways of running reefs or mixed tanks. IMO

Back