The Blind Reefer Reboot - IM 50 Lagoon

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally back in the reefing game after a 2 year hiatus!

Tank has arrived and been assembled! Im so excited.

IM 50 INT
20221123_141116.jpg

I stepped away from reefing for a few years as my doctors were working to save what remained of the vision in my left eye. After countless injections into my eyeball (yes, that's exactly as fun as it sounds) and a myriad of surgeries......vision is stable!!!

I'm still legally blind in the left eye (zero vision in right) but I'm SO incredibly gratefull and thankfull to still have some remaining sight.

In my last build thread I received tons of questions about why anyone would want to reef if they were blind so I might as well address it in this new thread too.

Firstly, blindness isn't like what most of us think. Very few blind people are in total darkness (it's very rare). Most of us "blind" folks have some residual vision. I can see my fish and corals with the help of very strong magnification.

Secondly, reefing isn't just a visual experience (atleast not for me). It's also the sounds and smells of having the ocean in my living room. I grew up in Monterey Bay, CA and now live in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Having a reef tank is like having a tiny piece of home with me.

Last but not least.....I'm a retired science teacher and I LOVE the challenge of a reef tank and the joy of sharing it with others.

Time to get started building a stand for the sump. I plan on putting the sump directly below the tank location but in the basement.

OP
OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the sump stand this morning! One step closer to reef time.

I'll be using a 40 breeder so I made a stand out of random wood scraps my husband had lying around.

Excuse the basement mess lol.
1000000888.jpg
1000000887.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back