1.5 drain into smaller bulk heads!?!?

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

So I’m starting my new build and it’ll be my first large tank build. The tank has to drains that there bulk heads are 1.5 inches. The problem is find a sump with 1.5 inch bulk heads is hard unless you go custom which I don’t want to do. Could I just put 1.5 inch to let’s say a 1inch pvc adapter so it can fit a sump with let’s say 1inch bulk heads?

Is that ok or would that affect flow? It may have been a silly question but why not ask before wasting money on plumbing haha.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I’m 100% understanding but can’t you just swap out for the bulkhead size you wish to use?

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I’m 100% understanding but can’t you just swap out for the bulkhead size you wish to use?
I’m almost positive a 1” bulkhead needs a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hole in the glass to fit or does your tank have pre installed bulkheads for 1 1/2 pipe?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain speed will be controlled by your valve in the sump. What this will do is add a point where detritus can collect on its way down. Would make sure the step is accessible to poke at with something.

What you dont want to do is on you return to be reduced to much from the starting width. Will increase head pressure and decrease the longevity of your pump in most cases.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Random photo everyone. But here is what I meant. Not my photos. But the tank drain bulkheads is 1.5 inches. The sump bulkheads are not. Let’s just assume they’re smaller.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my photos. Just example

DDAEC358-1D47-42D0-B6ED-EB08B9749141.jpeg
3D48E592-647E-4E89-BFB3-0965FDF8B595.jpeg

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some big bulkheads! Do you already have the sump? What kind of overflow setup are you gonna run? Herbie?

Yeah two drains though. That’s how mr Saltwatertank designed the tank back when he set up for the original owner. It’s 1.5 inches each. No sump yet but I don’t necessarily want to go custom over it. But the sump will probably be 48 inches.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah two drains though. That’s how mr Saltwatertank designed the tank back when he set up for the original owner. It’s 1.5 inches each. No sump yet but I don’t necessarily want to go custom over it. But the sump will probably be 48 inches.

I bought my sump from crystal reef aquatics. Not sure what your looking at for that price wise, but they are amazing sumps! They do use 1.5" bulkheads.

Regardless I think you will be fine reducing it after the valve on the main drain. The trickle I would reduce in the same area as the main. Unless you're planning on over like 1300 gph it shouldn't be a problem. I'm shocked how far the valves have to be closed to get the herbie/bean to run correctly. Full siphon drains handle a ton of water, even on 1" pipe.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since your example shows a crystal reef aquatics sump, I went to look and it does look like only the larger sumps use 1.5". Julian would probably be able to put 1.5" in the smaller sumps for you without jacking the price up like custom. I do think it will be perfectly fine either way.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I had no idea you could do that. Do you go directly through them?
On the Trigger 44 it came with a blank plate it was pre drilled for their screw holes I just had to put the 1.5" holes in it the 39 didn't I made one but I think they would make and send one

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Trigger 44 it came with a blank plate it was pre drilled for their screw holes I just had to put the 1.5" holes in it the 39 didn't I made one but I think they would make and send one

Good to know. thank you!

U

User1

View Badges
I'd find a proper sized sump. They are not that difficult to find or go custom. Custom isn't that much more and you get what you want. Having said that there may be other limiting factors in your setup that may more or less make this a moot point. Case in point. My tank has an external overflow because I wanted to use Bean Animal's design. It has 3 x 1.5" drains and 2 x 1" returns. So I ordered a sump from Lifereef, he asked what size drains am I using and I said 1.5". All good so far. I go to plumb the overflow and no matter what I did I couldn't fit using the 1.5" plumbing in the overflow box. So I changed it to 1" inside the overflow box and left the rest of the plumbing 1.5". Bean animal design is still more than capable but I guess I could have used 1" pvc and saved money especially around the unions and other fittings.

Anyway just saying look at the start and end, make sure everything fits or will fit, then go from there. It wasn't until after I had everything that I started to work on plumbing when I saw it wouldn't fit...

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd find a proper sized sump. They are not that difficult to find or go custom. Custom isn't that much more and you get what you want. Having said that there may be other limiting factors in your setup that may more or less make this a moot point. Case in point. My tank has an external overflow because I wanted to use Bean Animal's design. It has 3 x 1.5" drains and 2 x 1" returns. So I ordered a sump from Lifereef, he asked what size drains am I using and I said 1.5". All good so far. I go to plumb the overflow and no matter what I did I couldn't fit using the 1.5" plumbing in the overflow box. So I changed it to 1" inside the overflow box and left the rest of the plumbing 1.5". Bean animal design is still more than capable but I guess I could have used 1" pvc and saved money especially around the unions and other fittings.

Anyway just saying look at the start and end, make sure everything fits or will fit, then go from there. It wasn't until after I had everything that I started to work on plumbing when I saw it wouldn't fit...

I agree with you! That’s why I’m looking at used sumps but obviously it gets harder when you have large drains so I thought I’d ask. But if I have to go custom, I will. Luckily I’m in no rush! Thanks again!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the sump bulkheads are mounted into acrylic, it’s really very easy to ‘overdrill’ the holes for a bigger bulkhead; or just remove the bulkheads and pass 1 1/2” pipe through the holes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back