1 inch pex to pvc connector

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this to connect to a home water supply or are you going to be running aquarium system water thought this plumbing?

OP
OP
Q

quibimwe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this to connect to a home water supply or are you going to be running aquarium system water thought this plumbing?
Hi AlexG, this is for the aquarium system.
I have Pex pipe coming and going to the tank and I need to interconnect it with PVC pipe.

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Plastic connectors for PEX that doesn't go in the tank. You can get PEX 1/2", 3/4" X Pipe thread plastic fittings from most plumbing supply houses. I don't know about 1" but you could check your local contractor supply house and if they don't have it they can tell you where to get it.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no traditional connectors to go pex to pvc without putting metal into contact with aquarium water which is a no no on a saltwater tank.
You could use a Fernco or similar rubber coupler which uses hose clamps to secure it but the metal would be on the outside of the pipe and not in direct contact with aquarium water

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Plastic connectors for PEX that doesn't go in the tank. You can get PEX 1/2", 3/4" X Pipe thread plastic fittings from most plumbing supply houses. I don't know about 1" but you could check your local contractor supply house and if they don't have it they can tell you where to get it.
You still have to use a metal crimp to secure the pex to the plastic connector. These plastic connectors are normally used on sprinkler systems. Since it’s plastic and soft when you crimp it you won’t get a 100% water tight seal. On a sprinkler/irrigation system a little water leaking into the dirt you’re trying to water anyway this isn’t a problem. In your living room it is.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw
If you’re using this on one inch pex these flexible pool hoses (often used on external overflow boxes too) fit snug over the pex
C7A2947C-97C3-4AA6-9D79-7504D8023D1E.jpeg

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were connecting cpvc, there is a direct adapter. For pvc this is the best I can come up with. This poly 1" pex to 1" mpt. Then use a 1" threaded/slip pvc coupler to the pvc pipe. Don't use any of the copper or brass fittings. I would use stainless if I had to, but you can get the pex poly, so no need. I just hate threaded fittings and prefer slip and glueing. In place of the coupling, you could use a threaded/slip union also that would allow you to take it apart.
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.38.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.48.31 PM.png
OR IN PLACE OF ABOVE COUPLER USE UNION:
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.52.27 PM.png

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pex to threaded but would want to make sure it is all before a filter. This way you avoid brass contact with water. If your house has pex chances are there is contact with brass. The insides of fittings are metal. They do also make plastic fittings that are barbed to threaded.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were connecting cpvc, there is a direct adapter. For pvc this is the best I can come up with. This poly 1" pex to 1" mpt. Then use a 1" threaded/slip pvc coupler to the pvc pipe. Don't use any of the copper or brass fittings. I would use stainless if I had to, but you can get the pex poly, so no need. I just hate threaded fittings and prefer slip and glueing. In place of the coupling, you could use a threaded/slip union also that would allow you to take it apart.
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.38.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.48.31 PM.png
OR IN PLACE OF ABOVE COUPLER USE UNION:
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.52.27 PM.png
In my post above I said a plastic barbed connector will leak. This is not necessarily true, just always like to use brass just to be sure. Since you’d have to use a plastic barb on an aquarium would recommend using a pex expansion tool to secure it, This would also eliminate any metal on the entire connection, inside and out

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have to use a metal crimp to secure the pex to the plastic connector. These plastic connectors are normally used on sprinkler systems. Since it’s plastic and soft when you crimp it you won’t get a 100% water tight seal. On a sprinkler/irrigation system a little water leaking into the dirt you’re trying to water anyway this isn’t a problem. In your living room it is.
I indicated that it was NOT for submerged use, so the metal crimp ring is not an issue. However, I use these on my water station piping and haven't had a single leak in several years. With all that said I DON'T use them on tank plumbing with reef water flow. All of the connections on any water flowing thru the reef are Sch 80 PVC.

With the PEX on the water station Worst case for me would be a small leak on the garage floor

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I indicated that it was NOT for submerged use, so the metal crimp ring is not an issue. However, I use these on my water station piping and haven't had a single leak in several years. With all that said I DON'T use them on tank plumbing with reef water flow. All of the connections on any water flowing thru the reef are Sch 80 PVC.

With the PEX on the water station Worst case for me would be a small leak on the garage floor
I tried to correct/edit this post you quoted but apparently you can’t once it times out. So instead made another post, above, in an attempt to correct it. As a plumber for many years my old school thinking told me metal is better, as many plumbers avoided barbed plastic pex connectors too. In recent years they have gotten better and are used without issue often nowadays. Would still recommend using a pex expansion tool with plastic pro-pex fittings when using plastic connectors. Ymmv
This would also give you a metal free connection

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back