1" Lion Fish

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to get some blue legs and turbo snails for a friend who's having trouble with algae, and caught this little guy. He was living in less than 1 feet of water, eating little endemic species. You can see that his stomach is pretty full. I don't know what to do with him because I always kill them, but this one is so tiny that I might keep it.

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one that size about 20 years ago for $15.00 , had him for about 15 years before he died. up here in pa, they cost around 45 to 65 bucks

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so cool and yet terrifying considering what is happening in the Carribean.

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i remeber my days of going to abuelas house in duhamel Arecibo PR and go puddle fishing for all sorts of salt goodies. sargent damsel galore. scorpion fish, french angels all the blue legs you could imagine. man i miss my island! Thanks for the pic Luis

OP
OP
L

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, where do you live?
Thanks; San Juan, PR

Definitely a plump little guy!
Sadly, but true.

I bought one that size about 20 years ago for $15.00 , had him for about 15 years before he died. up here in pa, they cost around 45 to 65 bucks
Wow, that's a long term fish :wink: Right now you can get them for free

That's so cool and yet terrifying considering what is happening in the Carribean.
Yes they are really beautiful but I caught this one right in front of a estuary. That isn't good for the species that breed there, French Angelfish, atlantic blue tangs, banded butterflyfish, etc...

Wow I want!!!!
This isn't the first time I caught them :(. If you want I can ship them, just pay for the shipping costs. I don't want them here in Puerto Rico.

Wow Very Sexy... Nice Catch Luisra
JAja Gracias Pierre. I'm going to the same place tomorrow.

Man i remeber my days of going to abuelas house in duhamel Arecibo PR and go puddle fishing for all sorts of salt goodies. sargent damsel galore. scorpion fish, french angels all the blue legs you could imagine. man i miss my island! Thanks for the pic Luis
You're welcome. I would never leave this island, the states are too cold for me.

Check out this video YouTube - Caribbean Invasive Lionfish

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little guy.

Some here go for about $80...but those are at 4", which is about as small as we see them here in wisconsin.

There are ones out here in LA for $30-40 that are about that size.

Cool that you caught your own. www.saltwaterfish.com is selling atlantic lionfish, for which I think they deserve big kudos.

spotted jawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im from Arecibo too. North of the Island

juicemonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to make some San Juan friends soon, I may be moving to the island. Need some good fish connections.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents live in Adjuntas, as many times as I've been to the island I rarely make it to the beach. I forget where it was but when I was a kid I once went to a mangrove forest growing in a lagoon. We went snorkeling and it was awesome to see the fish swimming through the roots.

bayareaquarist

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA! Highonsaltwater...I heard that!

lol that little guy/girl is an aggressive eater!! Thats awesome...I wish I could afford another tank...So many creatures in this hobby Im not set up for!

Keep us posted!

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice pics luisra.... I caught a 10incher couple weeks ago in san juan... looks like these are spreading like a disease lol... anyways if you are looking get rid of it a have an 55g fish tank I can add him to.. I've been wanting to see one of these suckers feed for a while know :xd:

OP
OP
L

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to make some San Juan friends soon, I may be moving to the island. Need some good fish connections.
Nice, let me know. There are many lfs here in PR, and now they are opening a Pet Smart 5 min. away form my home.

HA! Highonsaltwater...I heard that!

lol that little guy/girl is an aggressive eater!! Thats awesome...I wish I could afford another tank...So many creatures in this hobby Im not set up for!

Keep us posted!

You have not heard anything :xd:
Yes, he's very very aggressive, today he ate 7 guppies, I can't believe how well he's doing in a 10 gallon tank with just an air stone. If you want one, let me know.

nice pics luisra.... I caught a 10incher couple weeks ago in san juan... looks like these are spreading like a disease lol... anyways if you are looking get rid of it a have an 55g fish tank I can add him to.. I've been wanting to see one of these suckers feed for a while know :xd:

Really sad to see them destroying our reefs. If you want him, he's yours. Just give me a call.

As soon as a find my pen drive I'll upload some pics.

OP
OP
L

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are
Before feeding

After 7 guppies, you can see the guppie's eye

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back