Hectors Goby...

Greyskull_714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
I have a Hectors Goby finishing up QT (almost 4 weeks). Ive read that they can be finicky eaters. I havent seen him eat the entire time and not sure how hes still alive. Ive tried feeding many different things and now have a stockpile of various foods. Should I put him in my DT after the 4 weeks even though I havent seen him eat? He must be eating something to stay alive. Maybe detritus? I have 2 other fish in QT with him. Everyone looks good but his stomach is a little pinched. TIA!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
I have a Hectors Goby finishing up QT (almost 4 weeks). Ive read that they can be finicky eaters. I havent seen him eat the entire time and not sure how hes still alive. Ive tried feeding many different things and now have a stockpile of various foods. Should I put him in my DT after the 4 weeks even though I havent seen him eat? He must be eating something to stay alive. Maybe detritus? I have 2 other fish in QT with him. Everyone looks good but his stomach is a little pinched. TIA!
How mature is the DT?

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some "Selcon" ... soak the food in it. I've had good results with it getting finnicky eaters started and eating well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its still new. 1-2 mos
IMHO, this is too young for this species of fish. Even when fed plenty this is a species that truly needs an established sandbed to thrive.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have I think 7 of them and you may be wasting your time trying to feed them. They also will not do well in quarantine as they eat whatever is growing on the rocks and not normal food although they may pick at it.

Mine are also spawning as far as I can tell and I have been keeping them for decades. Not the same ones.

Notice the growth on my rocks? Thats what they pick on constantly so if all you have are clean rocks or PVC fittings, they will starve. Your tank is to new for that type of fish.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
I've had a number of Hector's Gobies in the past and I've never had one that thrived on prepared foods. They graze the sand. rocks and walls. You could try a little of a press-on type algae food or maybe some Reef Nutrition R.O.E. They do like snail eggs, especially Cerith egg strings so that might work but I would move it to the DT. I'm assuming your DT has a sand bed. For a young tank if you want a Hector's-type goby you are better off with a captive-bred Rainford's Goby, commonly called a Court Jester today. They are very similar species but the CB Court Jester have been raised on prepared foods. You could also add some copepods as they will pick at them some as well. Good Luck, they are a wonderful addition to a tank.

OP
OP
G

Greyskull_714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a number of Hector's Gobies in the past and I've never had one that thrived on prepared foods. They graze the sand. rocks and walls. You could try a little of a press-on type algae food or maybe some Reef Nutrition R.O.E. They do like snail eggs, especially Cerith egg strings so that might work but I would move it to the DT. I'm assuming your DT has a sand bed. For a young tank if you want a Hector's-type goby you are better off with a captive-bred Rainford's Goby, commonly called a Court Jester today. They are very similar species but the CB Court Jester have been raised on prepared foods. You could also add some copepods as they will pick at them some as well. Good Luck, they are a wonderful addition to a tank.
Thank you for all your responses. But yes I think moving him to the DT will be the best bet. Thanks again!

OP
OP
G

Greyskull_714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the press on algae food? Brand?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the press on algae food? Brand?

Masstick isn't an algae based food, but it's what I've found best for fattening up rock peckers who won't eat, but I agree with everyone else fish that are obligate algae or pod eaters do terrible in qt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back