1 of 2 heaters broke

GreatHammerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter is here where I live and we have been in the single digits over night. I have a 75g display & 30g sump. In the winter I add a second 300watt heater to counter the cold. Today I noticed the water was 76 degrees, and one of the heaters has failed.

My question is how soon do I need to get another heater? I’m going to get one very soon. Do I have time to Amazon order one or do I need to go to my LFS and get one right away? THANKS IN ADVANCE

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep my tank at 77. You’ve got time to order one. But I’d suggest a IM Helios. Or BRS titanium heaters.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An extra pump in the sump will add heat if you have one. An incandescent light above the sump, lids, etc. below 76 is not great. A trip to the LFS is not a bad idea.

Upvote 0

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your temp dropped noticeably already, I'd go the LFS route. Go ahead and order a spare from Amazon to have a backup for next time (bonus for emergencies).

Upvote 0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably would get one as as possible and if going to the fish store is quickest I would do that. Even a heater from Petco or PetSmart would be fine and quicker than Amazon. That being said depending on a variety of factors and since you do still have one heater the tank should be fine depending on the temp of the room. I personally have accidentally left my heater off overnight in my 20 gallon reef tank with no ill effects. But the soonest you can get the heater and temp back up the best.

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your single heater is holding 76 degrees at coldest room temperature, I personally wouldn't worry about it,,, beyond just replacing the broken heater when it shows up.
You can do things to conserve heat in the tank like others have mentioned,,, even wrap blankets around tank(s) if possible if you're worried about it.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back