1 or 2 returns?

CincyRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm drilling a 125 gallon tank and have planned qty1 1in hole for the return. This 1in return will match the cor-20 return.

So, I have read about putting a second pump in as an redundant return. But, im concerned that pre-drilling the return may leak, since im using bulk head and a plug.

Thoughts?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you travel a lot and for long periods, having 1 return is fine. Perhaps consider getting a backup so you can swap in case anything goes wrong.

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't advise making your decision on the returns leaking. I drilled 5 holes in my tank with no prob after buying the right equipment and watching multiple youtube videos and etc on "How Too". If you worried about the bulkhead leaking just add a seal of aquarium grade silicone.

I'd say do two. If you decided otherwise later with one it will be more of pain afterward. Also, that cor 20 is very powerful! I run that one pump to two returns on 50%. You'll get more flow with two returns and reduce dead spots.

Not sure what you mean by the second pump being a redundant return. Is to for closed-loop? or just having a backup if the main goes out?

If the second is true then, my personal opinion is to set the second pump aside and just swap it out if the first goes out. Unless you travel a bunch and are away alot I don't see the need for redundancy especially if you have powerheads in addition. If you don't then I can see your case. If you have a APEX it will let you know when that core goes out.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back