Plumbing Q

TidalReef Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
92
Reaction score
60
Location
Fort Myers
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I've got a deep blue 80G. Im sure most are aware this has a Durso drain setup, this is the first of its kind for me and it scares me a bit that is does not have a emergency drain. Im stuck at what i want to do and I'm here for y'alls opinion's. 1) i can leave it alone. 2) drill a hole for the return on the back right side or find some room in the overflow area for another hole. 3) try to make a clean HOB return line. Thoughts?

PFA
IMG_6107.jpeg
 
If the overflow has two holes, you could use both for drains giving you the emergency drain you want and use one of those "hook over the top" type returns
I see - that's your number three (I didn't read closely enough the first time)
 
The durso won't likely flood your house as long as you don't restrict the line but it will be noisy.
We did this for decades.

I think many simply go over the top with the return these days and use the 2 holes as drain lines.
 
Yup, use both holes for drain, go over rim with return. Make sure to drill a siphon break hole on the return
 
The durso won't likely flood your house as long as you don't restrict the line but it will be noisy.
We did this for decades.

I think many simply go over the top with the return these days and use the 2 holes as drain lines.

Thats kinda the route im thinking of going.
 
Return will have a check valve.
Check valve not a good idea. Gets crud build up and won’t hold 100%. A siphon break is free, easy, and bulletproof
 
Durso is noisy
 
Check valve not a good idea. Gets crud build up and won’t hold 100%. A siphon break is free, easy, and bulletproof
Ive never had a issue with a check valve, maybe I've just been lucky. Im told its a noisy setup which im not a fan of. Could you add a gate valve to the Durso? Regardless ill have a emergency drain.
 
Ive never had an issue with a check valve, maybe I've just been lucky. Im told its a noisy setup which im not a fan of. Could you add a gate valve to the Durso? Regardless ill have an emergency drain.
Wouldn’t add a gate valve on a single drain. My advice would be Herbie style plumbing
 
Ive never had a issue with a check valve, maybe I've just been lucky. Im told its a noisy setup which im not a fan of. Could you add a gate valve to the Durso? Regardless ill have a emergency drain.

Use the check valve if you want but design your system so a leaking check valve will not flood your floor.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new