Plumbing Q

WickedReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I've got a deep blue 80G. Im sure most are aware this has a Durso drain setup, this is the first of its kind for me and it scares me a bit that is does not have a emergency drain. Im stuck at what i want to do and I'm here for y'alls opinion's. 1) i can leave it alone. 2) drill a hole for the return on the back right side or find some room in the overflow area for another hole. 3) try to make a clean HOB return line. Thoughts?

PFA
IMG_6107.jpeg

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the overflow has two holes, you could use both for drains giving you the emergency drain you want and use one of those "hook over the top" type returns
I see - that's your number three (I didn't read closely enough the first time)

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The durso won't likely flood your house as long as you don't restrict the line but it will be noisy.
We did this for decades.

I think many simply go over the top with the return these days and use the 2 holes as drain lines.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, use both holes for drain, go over rim with return. Make sure to drill a siphon break hole on the return

OP
OP
WickedReefs

WickedReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The durso won't likely flood your house as long as you don't restrict the line but it will be noisy.
We did this for decades.

I think many simply go over the top with the return these days and use the 2 holes as drain lines.

Thats kinda the route im thinking of going.

OP
OP
WickedReefs

WickedReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valve not a good idea. Gets crud build up and won’t hold 100%. A siphon break is free, easy, and bulletproof
Ive never had a issue with a check valve, maybe I've just been lucky. Im told its a noisy setup which im not a fan of. Could you add a gate valve to the Durso? Regardless ill have a emergency drain.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had an issue with a check valve, maybe I've just been lucky. Im told its a noisy setup which im not a fan of. Could you add a gate valve to the Durso? Regardless ill have an emergency drain.
Wouldn’t add a gate valve on a single drain. My advice would be Herbie style plumbing

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had a issue with a check valve, maybe I've just been lucky. Im told its a noisy setup which im not a fan of. Could you add a gate valve to the Durso? Regardless ill have a emergency drain.

Use the check valve if you want but design your system so a leaking check valve will not flood your floor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back