1 year in, dealing with persistent algae on sandbed

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up for just over a year now. started with dry rock and sand.
Ugly phase didn't really hit, other than a persistent thick algae mat that forms on my sandbed.
It difficult to vacuum since it clumps the sand so much that it just comes up in big clumps that then plugs my vacuum tube.

I'm currently trying less white light, only running blue channel for now. It's been almost a week with only blues, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better yet. I've tried vibrant, which didn't do much. Nightly H2O2 and daily bacteria dosing hasn't done anything other than kill my macro algae. (I think)

params:
8.6 KH (Hanna)
MG 1500 (Red Sea)
CA 480 (Red Sea)
nitrates 5.5ppm (Hanna HR)
phosphates .04ppm (Hanna ULR)

This algae has been present for months. my DT got ICH, so I pulled all fish and QT'd them. so my DT has been sitting fallow. I figured if it was a nutrient problem, going fallow might help... but the tank has now been fallow for 70 days and the algae on the sand isn't getting any better. (Corals have all been fine, except I did have a cali tort RTN in a couple days, immediately after moving it in the tank. all other corals seem fine. I have no other algae growing anywhere in the tank, no turf or hair algae on the rocks or glass. Only this persistant mat of algae on my sand..... how do I get rid of this?

Pics (taken with only blues on)
20210812_234502.jpg
20210812_234612.jpg
20210812_234544.jpg

20210812_234614.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip cleans do well against that

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing any bubble's in the algae? Is the algae more of a brown color vs red?

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first step is identifying what it is. I would guess dinos since the tank has been fallow, however nitrates at 5.5 with no fish is a red flag. Dinos usually don't like nutrient rich systems, and with no fish I wouldn't expect nitrate that high.

Is there any hair algae, bubble algae, etc?

A cheap microscope can ID dinos easily.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only briefly after dosing H202 to the tank, but other than that, NO.
HMMM...I asked because I am dealing with Dino's currently, but originally, thought it was Cyano. My algae looks brown under normal lighting, its not always easily blown off, and, kinda looks like snot vs a simple coating.

Not to alarm you, but, it kinda looks like what the photos show.

I would start by raising your N03 and P04 to 15 ppm and .10 ppm. That way you know you are above the margin of error for a Hanna checker.

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first step is identifying what it is. I would guess dinos since the tank has been fallow, however nitrates at 5.5 with no fish is a red flag. Dinos usually don't like nutrient rich systems, and with no fish I wouldn't expect nitrate that high.

Is there any hair algae, bubble algae, etc?

A cheap microscope can ID dinos easily.

The nitrate,s are currently 5.5ppm, which is the highest its ever been... I'm assuming it's due to my macro algae dying off. I have a large clump of macro algae that I think is dying due to the daily H202 dosing... everytime I doses H202 to the system, my macro algae is covered in bubbles and seems to be going clear/translucent as it is dying... I have a feeling that is where the nitrates are coming from. Normally, when I test nitrates, they are under 1 ppm. That was true, even when I had fish in the tank.

phosphates are usually .04, which they are right now... the highest they have ever been was .08 when I had fish in the tank.

FYI, I'm still feeding the tank for my corals, but only items like AB+, acro-power, and live phyto. a couple pellets ever few weeks for the crabs.

A microscope is probably my next purchase.

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing h202?

I use a $60 lcd 50-1000x microscope from Amazon to ID dinos. More magnification would be better, but it's cheap and works.

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing h202?

I use a $60 lcd 50-1000x microscope from Amazon to ID dinos. More magnification would be better, but it's cheap and works.

Hoping it would get rid of or at least weaken the algae on the sandbed.. but it seems to bubble a little bit around the edges, but that's it.

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really get a microscopic for a100% ID, but in the mean time this covers a lot :

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back