Maroon Colored Algae Won’t Go Away

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all

I have a 30 gallon reef tank that I have broke down and restarted 3 times thus in hopes to get rid of this algae I cannot seem to beat. It is very persistent, and I feel that all the cleaning and water changes does absolutely nothing but spread the algae. It will be gone, but comes right back the next day like a crazy ex. It is red/maroon in color and ONLY grows on the glass, mildly on the sand. My nutrient parameters have been stable, and always are. I have a very hard time believing that it’s cyano or red slime, every means of eradication has been attempted but bears no fruit. As stated, this is my 3rd rendition of the tank but it still seems to follow me. I run many reef tanks, yet this is the only thing ive ever been stumped on. This tank sits in front of a window, but as do my others. I have ran every chemical known to man, test my water more than I should be having too, clean and water change more than I should need to…

Has anybody encountered something like this? If so, please help me figure this out and rid of it.

IMG_3397.png IMG_3398.png IMG_3399.png IMG_3400.png

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all

I have a 30 gallon reef tank that I have broke down and restarted 3 times thus in hopes to get rid of this algae I cannot seem to beat. It is very persistent, and I feel that all the cleaning and water changes does absolutely nothing but spread the algae. It will be gone, but comes right back the next day like a crazy ex. It is red/maroon in color and ONLY grows on the glass, mildly on the sand. My nutrient parameters have been stable, and always are. I have a very hard time believing that it’s cyano or red slime, every means of eradication has been attempted but bears no fruit. As stated, this is my 3rd rendition of the tank but it still seems to follow me. I run many reef tanks, yet this is the only thing ive ever been stumped on. This tank sits in front of a window, but as do my others. I have ran every chemical known to man, test my water more than I should be having too, clean and water change more than I should need to…

Has anybody encountered something like this? If so, please help me figure this out and rid of it.

Hi there! Maybe treat it as you would dinos. You are obviously seeing numbers in your tests, so it's not a bottomed out nutrients thing, but nutrients are being consumed from this algae you speak of.

You could do a few things to try. Reduce your lights to blue only. Do you have a skimmer on the 30g? If so open it and run 24/7. Crank up the flow, as it breaks down let your mechanical filtration catch it. Do very minimal feedings. Amazon sells a cheap 9w UV. Run that 24/7 until it goes away. Lastly don't do a water change. That will only keep it growing, you need to starve it out.

My two cents, but has always worked for me in the case of dinos, I know it's not your problem, but may work.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar red/brown algae problem in my 60 cube nem tank a uv was what kicked it in under a week I ran it 24 7 for a month or so

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Maybe treat it as you would dinos. You are obviously seeing numbers in your tests, so it's not a bottomed out nutrients thing, but nutrients are being consumed from this algae you speak of.

You could do a few things to try. Reduce your lights to blue only. Do you have a skimmer on the 30g? If so open it and run 24/7. Crank up the flow, as it breaks down let your mechanical filtration catch it. Do very minimal feedings. Amazon sells a cheap 9w UV. Run that 24/7 until it goes away. Lastly don't do a water change. That will only keep it growing, you need to starve it out.

My two cents, but has always worked for me in the case of dinos, I know it's not your problem, but may work.
Roger that, I ran my 9w aqua shield sterilizer for a week or two but will try again. I built a custom aio system for it bc for the longest time, I thought the sump I had on it was accumulating detritus and whatnot. Currently do not have a skimmer, trying to find one that isn’t a junker but also fits AIO. I also only run blue light via AI Blade Coral Grow. Thank you kindly for the reply, I will try that out

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, this is my 3rd rendition of the tank but it still seems to follow me. I run many reef tanks, yet this is the only thing ive ever been stumped on. This tank sits in front of a window, but as do my others. I have ran every chemical known to man, test my water more than I should be having too, clean and water change more than I should need to…

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1708796007184.png

This is the algae issue that had you rip down and redo the tank 3 times? I'm looking at my 125 right now with the same thing.

I wouldn't worry about this; just keep after it.

Also, I wouldn't redo the tank again. Give it time for its ecosystem to get established.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you Tried ChemiClean? If it’s coming back at night probably Cyno. Also get yourself an all Plastic Turkey Baster, swing by a ACE Hardware, and get a Hose Snap Clamp for the Bulb. Go over your Gravel to get the ChemiClean, down in the Gravel. I always go 24 to 48 hours longer than label, and do not put more in.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1708796007184.png

This is the algae issue that had you rip down and redo the tank 3 times? I'm looking at my 125 right now with the same thing.

I wouldn't worry about this; just keep after it.

Also, I wouldn't redo the tank again. Give it time for its ecosystem to get established.
Those are pictures I took not even a full day after scraping off.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you Tried ChemiClean? If it’s coming back at night probably Cyno. Also get yourself an all Plastic Turkey Baster, swing by a ACE Hardware, and get a Hose Snap Clamp for the Bulb. Go over your Gravel to get the ChemiClean, down in the Gravel. I always go 24 to 48 hours longer than label, and do not put more in.
Have tried chemiclean more times than I can count.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, all

Looks like diatoms/diatom film to me and diatoms not only appear in new tanks but mature tanks as well. Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also thrive off of dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates and silicates. Tap water can emit silicates andcause a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. Tou can also get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge which removes silicates expires.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back