10 g sump baffle placement ?

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180122_191057.jpg
ok. I have my 10 g aquarium , skimmer, and return pump, AND. 4 pieces cut glass but.. I'm finding conflicting info in where to place the baffles? Measurements between and Chambers. Anybody got sum info /ideas? Thanks!!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree on three chambers instead of 4.
I would think that you're probably looking at three chambers, rather than four.

#reefsquad, any thoughts?

~Bruce

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for filter socks or the like to be used? So the four chambers you need are: socks, fuge, skimmer, return, or...?

I also agree on the "3 over 4" suggestion. First chamber would be for return/socks. Make this as narrow as you can to fit what you need (eg; ~5" if you need socks, else 2-3" for just a return pipe). The second chamber is for the skimmer and other gear and should be as wide as possible (so you can fit things like a heater in there along with the skimmer). Which means you'll want to size your final chamber to fit the return pump, with some bit of extra room ~1/2"-1" on each side. For best performance, the final baffle should really be two baffles ~ 1" apart - one low on the tank and another high, so that the water has to pass over then under (called a "bubble trap", this prevents bubbles from entering your return pump and causing issues). You could also place a bit of sponge in between these two to add some extra mechanical filtration, if desired.

If you really think you need a 4th chamber (for a small fuge, for example), then I would split the center chamber. You can do this in either direction (parallel or perpendicular to the other baffles), depending upon what works best for the gear you're trying to fit.

OP
OP
-XENOMORPH-

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou . I was thinking 3 Chambers once I placed the two items inside it. I'll go with that when I hopefully install baffles this week. Bbl

Back