OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a picture of the hammer coral with flash to alleviate all the blue in the picture. The green pops under the actinic lighting.
004.jpg

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer looks good, nice color. I was at a local lfs this week and was trying to get him to frag some for me but it wasn't ready. That's the next coral I want.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I haven't done anything to the tank lately but there is a method to my madness. I have decided that lighting needs to be upgraded. The EcoPico LED light is very good but I am going to trade it in for an Aqua Illuminations Nano Sol LED. The main reason for this is I will be switching my tank over to a SPS dominated system after the light is purchased.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally trained my clownfish to eat from my hand. I was always a skeptic about hand feading until a few minutes ago lol.

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, I have a scarlet wrasse and a solon fairy wrasse that hand feed and it gets to be a pain sometimes when I go in to work, they are constantly digging around my hand looking for food. It is fun though to hand feed.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, I have a scarlet wrasse and a solon fairy wrasse that hand feed and it gets to be a pain sometimes when I go in to work, they are constantly digging around my hand looking for food. It is fun though to hand feed.

Its a lot more fun than I thought it would be, but I can see how it can get annoying when you're in a rush. Like you said it is fun though.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm dealing with a little diatom outbreak. Nothing uncommon for a new tank. Thanks to my mag float the main display looks fine for now, the refugium is in full bloom though. Hopefully I can get a BRS media reactor soon so I can have extreme overkill of filtration. For now I'm going to grab a bag of purigen to remove the phosphates. The cheato in the refugium is helping as well.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally had time to go to the lfs to grab some purigen for the tank. Its my absolute favorite filter media and I highly recommend it. The tank is doing well, no changes whatsoever. I'm letting the tank "newness" wear off a little while before I add anymore livestock.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the diatoms clearing up?

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the diatoms clearing up?

With a few water changes and the purigen they cleared up pretty quickly. The water is a little cloudy but all levels are reading fine and nothing seems to be wrong in the tank. A few more water changes and the tank should be pristine.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this thread has been kinda boring lately. I've been really busy lately and the tank has been a little cloudy. Hopefully soon I'll be adding some more livestock.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well while tank is waiting to clear up I've been doing some thinkings as to the direction I want to take the tank. I originally wanted to do some sps pieces, but I will be getting a larger system within a year or two so I may hold of on the sps and play with some lps. I would still like to get a tridacna clam at some point if it works out. But as far as coral goes I was thinking of doing so kryptonite (spelling) candy canes, a chalice, a plate coral, a zoa garden, maybe some acan lords, and whatever other lps corals catch my eye (without breaking the bank too badly). I wanted to do a birdnest coral so I could still have a sps that was simple. It would be the crowning jewel of the tank. If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions please let me know.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank is starting to clear up. Hopefully it will be crystal clear in the next few days. Nothing new going on in the tank, except my hammer coral hasn't been opening lately. I accidentally touched the polyps the other day and that just made it mad I guess. Hopefully it will open soon.

OP
OP
N

nanoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the good news is my tank is back to being crystal clear. The bad news is I woke up and found what I'm almost positive is brown jelly on my hammer coral. I'm going to try an iodine dip for now since I have heard that can save the hammer.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back