10 Gallon Macroalgae, FOWLR tank Stocking! Lmk what you think

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've setup a 10 gallon Macroalgae tank and was wondering what you guys think of my stocking plan, there will be no corals in this tank.

Tank Specs:
-10 gallon tank (2 months old)
-Tidal 35 HOB filter
-50w Heater
-528gph powerhead
-JC&P 7000k LED light
-10lbs live rock
-10lbs live sand

Tank Maintenace:
-weekly 20% water change
-weekly HOB filter clean
-weekly algae clean

Usual Parameters:
-Ammonia 0
-Nitrite 0
-Nitrate 5

Cleanup Crew & Inverts:
- Chaeto and Red Gracilaria
-Poreclain Crab (owned)
-3 Cerith snails (owned)
-3 Bumble bee snails (owned)
- a shrimp or two (undecided on species)
-maybe a rock flower anemone

Fish Stocking:
-Warpaint Clown Goby (owned)
- 2 Pygmy Filefish (The recommended tanks size for these guys ranges from 10-30+ gallons depending on source, so I'm going to try a pair in the 10 gallon but i will rehome them if i feel its too small for them)

Lmk your thoughts :)

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a good plan coming from my newbie self lol. Although if you want a macro algae DT I wouldn’t recommend chaeto. It doesn’t latch onto stuff that well (from what I’ve noticed in my tank) and it grows very fast.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a good plan coming from my newbie self lol. Although if you want a macro algae DT I wouldn’t recommend chaeto. It doesn’t latch onto stuff that well (from what I’ve noticed in my tank) and it grows very fast
I already have some, it just rolls around and wedges itself into crevices. Neither the red Gracilaria or the Chaeto have grown for me yet, I might be too low on nitrates at the moment.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have some, it just rolls around and wedges itself into crevices. Neither the red Gracilaria or the Chaeto have grown for me yet, I might be too low on nitrates at the moment.
When I first got mine it took about a week to get going and now I’m pulling out a quart+ of it every week lol. I don’t think it’s your nitrates because mine are bottomed out right now and still growing just slower. (I am dosing nitrates but also battling GHA which is skewing my results. I am winning though lol) sorry for kind of misleading this thread

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got mine it took about a week to get going and now I’m pulling out a quart+ of it every week lol. I don’t think it’s your nitrates because mine are bottomed out right now and still growing just slower. (I am dosing nitrates but also battling GHA which is skewing my results. I am winning though lol) sorry for kind of misleading this thread
Its all good haha. I've had mine for a month and a half without growth, but to be fair, i didn't add a powerhead until a few days ago so maybe it needed more flow.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all good haha. I've had mine for a month and a half without growth, but to be fair, i didn't add a powerhead until a few days ago so maybe it needed more flow.
Hopefully it’ll take off for you :) if you ever need more for any reason I frequently give it away when it’s time for a trim. Got a couple people in line but I can normally part it out for 3-4 people each time

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it’ll take off for you :) if you ever need more for any reason I frequently give it away when it’s time for a trim. Got a couple people in line but I can normally part it out for 3-4 people each time
Thanks for the offer man, but I work at my LFS so I can get it dirt cheap haha

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy Filefish are pretty chill; mine never got off to a good start in my nano tank and died within a few days, but from observing it at the LFS and when I did have it in my tank, I think a 10 gallon could work. And maybe then add an Azure Damsel.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy Filefish are pretty chill; mine never got off to a good start in my nano tank and died within a few days, but from observing it at the LFS and when I did have it in my tank, I think a 10 gallon could work. And maybe then add an Azure Damsel.
I wouldn't add a damsel because of possible aggression, maybe if it was the only fish. My 3 fish are going to be my green clown goby and the two pygmy filefish. I also want to stay away from bright colors in this tank, my reef tank is colorful so I want this one to look more natural

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pygmys were super active and even a bit aggressive when they had eggs! They won’t die from stress in a 10g but used my whole 80g when I had them.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pygmys were super active and even a bit aggressive when they had eggs! They won’t die from stress in a 10g but used my whole 80g when I had them.
Thanks for your input, I'm going to try it out and decide if it's big enough once I get a feel for it

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update; I added a rock flower anemone for my porcelain crab and i couldn't be more happy, I'm thinking of adding a few more of both

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on keeping chaeto out of a nano build! It's fine in a fuge, but it doesn't add interest or movement in a DT, and individual strands will fly everywhere. Red macro is much nicer and tends to behave itself more. If you must go green, get some halimeda.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add cheato, I would aquascape in a manner to "trap it" in one place, (good luck). Might try culebra which does well in my tank when cheato doesn't, but my fish eat the cheato and also ulva. Culebra eventually will fasten itself and is easier to prune. Works great on nitrates. 2 file fish? Hummmm. Ok if you like them. The azure damsel may turn into a bully whereas a green chromis will be tolerant. Also, the damsel might tol the first fish but if you chose to add fish later... may beat those into submission. Power head might be a bit much in that size tank with that filter. Are you adding corals? You could probably watch some GSP and xenia take over your tank! Small tank like that how bout a zoa garden?

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add cheato, I would aquascape in a manner to "trap it" in one place, (good luck). Might try culebra which does well in my tank when cheato doesn't, but my fish eat the cheato and also ulva. Culebra eventually will fasten itself and is easier to prune. Works great on nitrates. 2 file fish? Hummmm. Ok if you like them. The azure damsel may turn into a bully whereas a green chromis will be tolerant. Also, the damsel might tol the first fish but if you chose to add fish later... may beat those into submission. Power head might be a bit much in that size tank with that filter. Are you adding corals? You could probably watch some GSP and xenia take over your tank! Small tank like that how bout a zoa garden?
This is the same tank from the previous thread, i scrapped the filefish and chaeto plan, instead I'm doing the firefish, yasha goby and clown goby and turning it into a soft coral reef

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same tank from the previous thread, i scrapped the filefish and chaeto plan, instead I'm doing the firefish, yasha goby and clown goby and turning it into a soft coral reef
I was thinking xenia, GSP and rock flower nems

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good time for an update;

I've scrapped this entire stocking plan, instead im going with..

fish

-firefish
-yasha goby
-green clown goby

inverts

-porcelain crab
-rock flower nem
-bumble bee snails
-cerith snails
-pistol shrimp
-bristle worms (not on purpose haha)

corals
-xenia
-gsp
-maybe some mushrooms or zoas

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back