Need Advice for a Basic 10 Gallon Frag Tank

JClic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Getting back into the hobby after a 10 or so year hiatus. Looking to gain some knowledge on if a 10 gallon bare bottom tank is alright for coral frags with the following.

Top Fin 10g Tank
Sicce Nano Voyager 270 gph
Regular Top fin 50w
Fluval Aquaclear 30 Filter
Etsy frag tank tiered rack
AI Prime 16hd
Topfin 20 inch lid with parts cut out for gasses, filter, wires, lights. Plastic part on the back side can be removed but lid needs to stay as I have cats.

It will not be connected to another tank or have a sump/skimmer.

Have all but the light, I did not listen to the "buy nice not twice" this is all extra stuff I want to put to use.

Will extensive water changes be enough to keep any coral? Can I just do weekly water changes and top off's daily if need be? Is a skimmer is needed in a 10g frag tank with said water changes and general cleaning of the tank. Cleaning isnt an issue.

LFS saltwater will be sourced and their parameters have been perfect for over 10 years according to my experiences. The "live" rock if I even put any in the frag tank, and plans are a wrasse and a blenny. I would like to add corals from different sources so hopefully that is not an issue they would only ever go in my main tank after a few months. If adding livestock is an issue than I would not add any.

My main goal is to grow frags for my main tank and then eventually make frags for this tank from the main tank. So vice versa but properly.

I am new here and came from google, I am sure a lot of people have had similar questions "I have only seen a few threads and minimal videos pertaining to this" so any answers/comments/questions are much appreciated.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! It’s doable with water changes only unless you wanna grow out acros they need to be a tad more stable besides the easier ones like a green slimer! As for a skimmer you don’t really need one unless you stock it with fish and feed a lot it would help! Again water changes would prolly suffice also unless it’s over stocked with fish.

OP
OP
JClic

JClic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! It’s doable with water changes only unless you wanna grow out acros they need to be a tad more stable besides the easier ones like a green slimer! As for a skimmer you don’t really need one unless you stock it with fish and feed a lot it would help! Again water changes would prolly suffice also unless it’s over stocked with fish.
Thank you for the reply, very helpful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back