10 gallon Nuvo Fusion equipment list?

Is it more important for a protein skimmer or a media reactor in a Nano Reef Aquarium?

• Total voters

Fishguy627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
This is my first forums in the reefing community so I will sum up my experience real quick. Since I was 10 years old I have had freshwater aquariums, I started my first saltwater tank 2 years ago and I would like to set up a 10 gallon Nuvo Fusion Aquarium from Innovative Marine.

What I already know what I want to buy :
Aquarium - 10 IM NUVO fusion
Rock - live rock from my existing tank
Sand - dry aragonite sand rinsed well in tap and final rinse in rodi
Light - Hipargero Aquarium LED Light
Filtration :
Protein skimmer - Biocube protein skimmer
Media - Chemi Pure blue and pond matrix from my existing tank
Custom caddy with 3 layers ( sponge, Chemi pure blue, and pond matrix)

What I would like to know :
Since I am not adding a power head, I would like to know a good replacement type of return pump that would fit in the third compartment or return. I would like to know what type of heater I should get ( one that is cheap in cost but reliable ) I would also like to know if even that I am going to be using chemipure blue, instead of using a protein skinner, should I get the mini max matrix media reactor?

This tank is going to be one for my rbta and 1 clownfish, I know rbta get very large and that is why I will replace it when it comes to that time.

Thank you for your help, Josh.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Josh and welcome to R2R.

I would say the skimmer is more important than a media reactor. I have never used a media reactor on my nanos and they were mixed reefs with a lot of sps.

I use the Cobalt MJ1200 as returns in my nanos.

Chemipure provides a different type of filtration. A skimmer physically removes proteins, dissolved organic from the water column.

Are you using a new light fixture, I am not familiar with that fixture.

OP
OP
Fishguy627

Fishguy627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tahoe61, thank you for replying to my post.

I also thought the same because since I have the chemipure blue, wouldn’t that be by chemical filtration? Would the Cobalt MJ1200 fit in the nuvo 10 and is it quiet? Do you know of any cheap and reliable heaters that would rot in the return section of the sump?

The light is on Amazon for only $60! It has been on amazon for about a year. I found a youtuber using it that showed the Par readings and at the lowest it had a 200 PAR reading and at top a 300. Is that going to be enough for a rbta along with that pump you suggested? That amazon post is “LED Aquarium Light - Hipargero Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with 3W Cree Chips Touch Control for Coral Reef Fish Marine Nano Tank”

Again thanks for the advice! :)

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nuvo 10 and I was just about to upgrade my return with a Sicce 0.5 but I just found out that Innovative just came up with an upgrade pump that’s DC and controllable for less so that’s what I’m getting ready to get. I tried a maxijet 1200 I had laying around and it’s too powerful for my Nuvo 10 with sand. If you’re going bare glass bottom and strictly sps then it might work. But mine is lps and it’s just overkill.

OP
OP
Fishguy627

Fishguy627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ughster1 Thank you for replying :)

I looked at the sicce pumps before, but the MJ1200 costed less. I don’t want to buy the IM upgrade pump, as it is a little over my budget. Do you think the sicce 0.5 would be enough flow for an anemone without a power head in the main display?

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ughster1 Thank you for replying :)

I looked at the sicce pumps before, but the MJ1200 costed less. I don’t want to buy the IM upgrade pump, as it is a little over my budget. Do you think the sicce 0.5 would be enough flow for an anemone without a power head in the main display?
I/m not even close to knowing anything about nems but a 1200 in a Nuvo 10 too strong. I tried it and the water kept jumping over the edge of the aquarium and not letting anything settle. I was going to try the Sicce because it's adjustable but i'm going to try the new one from IM since it's specifically built for the Fusion series and is adjustable. It's more than the 1200 but less than the Sicce. Look it up at marine depot it's $89 and change

OP
OP
Fishguy627

Fishguy627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered everything and it’s coming Wednesday :). Should I start a new thread about me setting my Aquarium?

OP
OP
Fishguy627

Fishguy627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I/m not even close to knowing anything about nems but a 1200 in a Nuvo 10 too strong. I tried it and the water kept jumping over the edge of the aquarium and not letting anything settle. I was going to try the Sicce because it's adjustable but i'm going to try the new one from IM since it's specifically built for the Fusion series and is adjustable. It's more than the 1200 but less than the Sicce. Look it up at marine depot it's $89 and change

Oh, I have been using amazon. I found the sicce for $37 on amazon and the Upgraded innovative marine for $90.

89FB2AFA-F2AA-481C-9112-1F5E93E24DA0.png

I’m going to go with this one. :) Thanks!

Brandonn42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce .5 is great in the Nuvo 10 I have it with the vivid aquatics rfg return nozzle and I was able to ditch my powerhead altogether. It keeps all the detritus and food from settling anywhere in the tank and randomly generates a flow around the entire tank so it’s more of a natural current

Nicksvenom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how the light is working for you, I have the same tank and was looking at that light myself.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back