10 gallon reef for my daughter.

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 11 year old daughter told me that she wants to take our empty 10 gallon tank and have a reef tank in her room. That's where you guys come in.

I have some CaribSea aragonite sand. I plan getting about 10 lbs of LR from the LFS or another reefer in the area if I can find someone that will sell/give me some. That should speed up the cycle, right? I have supplements and test kits already.

Now, I know params are harder to keep stable in a small tank, so she'll have to do water changes frequently and keep the fish stock small.

I have a filter that came with the tank. You know the ones that come with the freshwater kits at Wal-Mart. Will that work with the right media? If not, what should I get, if any filter of that sort.

Next, powerheads. I was considering 2 very small powerheads, but have seen a lot of these small tanks with just one like 250 gph, there abouts. What would you guys recommend?

Should I run a skimmer on a tank that small?

I actually have 2 10 gallon tanks. Should I use one as a sump for her tank, or not bother with drilling and plumbing that in?

Now how long after the cycle can she put a coral in a tank of this size? Also, what would be good for her to start with?

I'm very excited that she is wanting to get into this hobby. That's my girl!

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gal mixed reef tank. I have one of those hob filters that you have but I rarely run carbon in it. At the moment, I have rock rubble in it. I also have a power head, its a used 540gph. If you get all live rock then yes it will speed up the cycle. I had about 2lbs of live rock I used to seed my tank whaen I got started and the cycle only took about 3 weeks. I dont have a skimmer on mine but it couldn't hurt if you could find a small enough one for it. You shouldn't need a sump but once again, it couldn't hurt it either. Take a look at my build thread, it could help.

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a bio cube skimmer our any other kind that what i use on my frog fish tank and a little power filter but that's enough flow for him

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And forgot to mention if you can make that a sump then do it

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy an Aqua Clear 70 from Walmart. they are huge boxy HOB filters, that you can convert into a mini fuge if you want. I have a 10 gallon tank with one on it, but I just use a bag of purigen and a bag of chemi pure elite in it. I have lots of xeina in there, and that helps with water quality too.

I literally never do anything to this tank except top it off and do a little Water change every month or 2. I should do more, but hey the corals seem really happy.

Here is a quick video:
[video=youtube;i83TDuOozP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i83TDuOozP0&list=UUiIrju8joSfDCWLj6TKGFng& index=4[/video]

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy an Aqua Clear 70 from Walmart. they are huge boxy HOB filters, that you can convert into a mini fuge if you want. I have a 10 gallon tank with one on it, but I just use a bag of purigen and a bag of chemi pure elite in it. I have lots of xeina in there, and that helps with water quality too.

I literally never do anything to this tank except top it off and do a little Water change every month or 2. I should do more, but hey the corals seem really happy.

Here is a quick video:
[video=youtube;i83TDuOozP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i83TDuOozP0&list=UUiIrju8joSfDCWLj6TKGFng& index=4[/video]

That's a very nice little tank

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a quick video:

Do you have a skimmer on there? Also, what kind of lighting is that?

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a fish and some softys she can come pick out I'm always sooo exited when a new person joins the hobby Especially at a young age that shows this hobby is alive and well pm me and I can help you

Andrew calvo

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1360369408.254465.jpg
I just keep macro Algae in my tank

Andrew calvo

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that they can be a pain. She'll only have 1 or 2 fish. So we'll see what she wants and go from there.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels, love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em. They have attitude.

Back on subject. I'd use the second 10 as a refugium. It will add diversity to the system and with it being a 10 gal you can use all of that you can get. Plus in this case it doubles your effective water volume. I'd put lots of live rock in the refugium and grow lots of algae and pods in it.

Last edited:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run a skimmer on it. Just what I listed in the post. The fixture is a deep blue fixture with 2 T5's. And I havent tested the water in over a year. But I truly credit the water being clean from the xenia.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back