10 gallon sump 85 gallon

weldrick208658

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2024
Messages
103
Reaction score
31
Location
quebec canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice, I’m setting up a new 85 gallon, probably and eel and some lion fish and the only tank that can fit under the stand is a 10 gallon can I use that as a sump or do I buy a new stand with a bigger sump.
 
Personally I would feel much better with a bigger sump. 10 gallon is too small for both water and equipment
 
The problem will be how you mitigate drainage if you turn off the return pump (say for a water change), or, should the return pump fail.

The top few inches of 85 gallons draining into a 10 gallon sump to me means a lot of water on the floor.

You’re better off running a larger sump externally (maybe in another cabinet) or getting a properly sized cabinet to run that sump, it’ll afford you a lot more space to run adequately sized equipment as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new