10 gallon tank fish amount help!

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y’all i got a 10 gallon reef tank right now long version and got 2 clowns 1 watchman goby with some hermits and snails went today to rap in nyc and was talked into getting a scooter Benny is having 4 fish way too much for the bioload will they die or something bad happen?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of fish for your tank; hopefully you have a good filtration system, do frequent water changes and monitor your water parameters.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of fish for your tank; hopefully you have a good filtration system, do frequent water changes and monitor your water parameters.
Usually i do every other week but was debating on doing every week for filter i have a bio wheel but was thinking of getting a aquamax

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would do a WC every week, maybe 20%, and test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate regularly for the next several weeks until you know that your good bacteria have increased to accommodate the increased bioload

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine.. they are all small fish just keep up with your maintenance as has been pointed out.
Roger that i mean evently I’ll be going to 20-30 gallons just don’t have the funds yet and really want rimless

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine.. they are all small fish just keep up with your maintenance as has been pointed out.
Ditto, it may be cramped for the clowns, depending on the species, however.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like said above, that is a very heavy stocking load. However nobody mentioned the fact that a scooter blenny may starve in such a small tank. Is it eating any prepared foods?

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like said above, that is a very heavy stocking load. However nobody mentioned the fact that a scooter blenny may starve in such a small tank. Is it eating any prepared foods?
well right when he went he went for my sand started chomping i fed pellets didn’t see him get any I’ll make sure to look tomorrow also i feed shrimp a lot heard they like those

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scooter blennies are a dragonet. Dragonets have a very short and inefficient digestive tract, so in addition to what you feed they NEED to supplement with pods in the tank. They eat a copious amount of pods. They will deplete the pods in your tank very quickly, then waste away.

If the person that sold you the scooter knew you only had a 10g tank they should be ashamed.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y’all i got a 10 gallon reef tank right now long version and got 2 clowns 1 watchman goby with some hermits and snails went today to rap in nyc and was talked into getting a scooter Benny is having 4 fish way too much for the bioload will they die or something bad happen?

In a saltwater tank ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! and a scooter blenny would be very difficult to keep in a tank of that size since they need a self-sustaining pod population (which will be hard to do in a tank of that size). I would say 2-3 fish max for a 10 gallon tank unless you are prepared to devote your entire life to said tank.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back