10 Gallons of Simple Science

Justin_Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! My name is Justin, and I am stepping back into the saltwater hobby. I kept saltwater tanks for a few years before I went to college, but due to moving so much (4 states in the last year alone) I haven't had a tank in four years! Now that I am settled however, I am excited to have the opportunity to have a tank again.
Before I get into the tank setup, I'll tell you a little about myself. I am 23, and currently living in south Florida. I am currently in a graduate program where I am working on my masters degree in Marine Biology. I work in a lab at the university that specializes in coral toxicology, and I also work at the LFS in town. Needless to say, I am quite immersed in a marine lifestyle ;).
The reason behind the title of this thread is that I wanted to do a build that used reasonable, low cost materials and good methodology to produce a thriving micro reef community. I wanted to show that having a successful reef is not dependent on having the most expensive equipment or tending to your tank 10 hours a day. I hope to prove that with limited equipment and a reasonable amount of care you can have a successful and thriving reef.
Lastly, I am far from an expert. I have been out of the hobby for a while, and am definitely rusty. I greatly appreciate all advice and tips that may come my way. I am still learning, and will continue to learn. Enough tanking, lets do this.

The Build:
Equipment:
Tank - 10 Gallon Aqueon tank
Lighting - Hipargero Led AquaKnight
Filtration - Aquaclear 30 HOB filter with filter floss and carbon
Circulation - Hydor Korallia 240
Heat - DaToo 50W Aquarium Heater
Temp - Zacro digital thermometer
Floating Glass cleaner
Testing: Red sea fish Pharm

Current Livestock:
15 lbs dry and live rock (from the ocean)
~10 lbs live sand (from the ocean)
3 blue leg hermits
2 astrea snails
NO aptasia!

Tank Params:
Ammonia - 0.01
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 1
pH - 8.6
dkh - 8.0

The tank has been up for about 10 days now and the levels are great. The nitrates are a little low, but I'll get them up in no time I'm sure :D. I'm running the blues/UV on my lights at 90% and the whites at 30%, although i added more white for the picture. I am having the normal algae that comes with a new tank, but the clean up crew is taking care of it fairly well. I plan to get a trochus or two here pretty soon as well. Future stocking plans include making it a mixed reef with an emphasis on sps. I also plan to have some sort of dragonette or scooter blenny, maybe a tailspot blenny, and perhaps a small nem/clown pair.
Now for some pictures, let me know what you think!
IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5946.JPG
IMG_5958.JPG

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great experience with that light and filter.
The dragonetts are a no go in a 10 gallon unless your culturing your pods and dosing almost daily.

OP
OP
Justin_Luke

Justin_Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great experience with that light and filter.
The dragonetts are a no go in a 10 gallon unless your culturing your pods and dosing almost daily.

Good to hear about the light! Most people seem to like it. I would only do the dragonetts if they were on frozen. At the LFS I work at we get all our dragonetts on frozen before selling them, so of course I would get them from my work if I decide to go with that species.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sounds excellent. Gotta live a surfer from Kansas, LOL.

OP
OP
Justin_Luke

Justin_Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5994.JPG
IMG_5995.JPG
Time for an update!
Parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite <.05
Nitrate 4
pH: 8.2
kH: 17 Dkh or 6.07 meq/L ( Too high I know, I plan to do a 20% WC this weekend)

I have also added some more livestock to the tank this week. On Tuesday I picked up a small nem and clown pair. The anemone is about the size of a racquetball and the ocellaris clown is equally small. The wholesaler that i got the anemone from said it was a pink bubble tip, but I'm not so sure, i think it looks more like a long tentacle. What does it look like to you guys? Either way its doing great in the tank and opening up nicely. The clown hasn't figured out how to host it yet, but im sure it will with time. Other than that not too much else is new with the tank. I added some extra shell for the hermits because I saw them stealing each others shells. Coral will come eventually, as soon as the budget allows. That is one thing about being broke while setting up a tank, it forces you to take things very slow haha. Here are some pictures!

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think this tank is big enough or even ready for an anemone. Especially if you are still reading nitrite. I would highly recommend rethinking the nem for the tank and at least for the next 6 months. Good luck!

OP
OP
Justin_Luke

Justin_Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Justin_Luke

Justin_Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it couldn't hurt, but ill do a water change and check the params and see where im at. That should clear everything up

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't move so fast bud - nice looking tank! You'll encounter too many issues and thanks us later for making you be patient haha

Wait at least a whole month before adding any live stock in my opinion..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back