10 vs 14 gallon, significant difference?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the im 15 as well. It is an in between size between the 10 and 20 gallons, is the cheapest which gives you more money for equipment or livestock, and it has upgrades you can get on intankaquatics.com. The first upgrade i would do is adding the floss holder for $17 because it is much easier, and cheaper, dealing with filter floss than filter socks.

OP
OP
N

noncarbonatedclack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the im 15 as well. It is an in between size between the 10 and 20 gallons, is the cheapest which gives you more money for equipment or livestock, and it has upgrades you can get on intankaquatics.com. The first upgrade i would do is adding the floss holder for $17 because it is much easier, and cheaper, dealing with filter floss than filter socks.

Oh cool, thanks! I'm working out the basics now lol but definitely interested in upgrades. Any others I should look into, as ide from the floss holder?

It's the biggest yet the cheapest by a pretty large margin. Build quality is fantastic.

right on, thanks. They do look nice. Low iron glass I think too?

I'm actually thinking about going with the 14 peninsula I linked earlier, comes as a kit, which is helpful.
I figure, get the kit, and then after the cycle I'll grab an upgraded pump, and use the stock pump to mix saltwater.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually thinking about going with the 14 peninsula I linked earlier, comes as a kit, which is helpful.
I figure, get the kit, and then after the cycle I'll grab an upgraded pump, and use the stock pump to mix saltwater.
The 14 kit you're referring to already has an upgraded pump. You wouldn't upgrade it again. Ultimately in that case, it comes down to preference. If you like the Peninsula look, go for it. If you want cube, the 15 is the way to go.

OP
OP
N

noncarbonatedclack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 14 kit you're referring to already has an upgraded pump. You wouldn't upgrade it again. Ultimately in that case, it comes down to preference. If you like the Peninsula look, go for it. If you want cube, the 15 is the way to go.

Actually hadn't seen that, sweet.
Yeah I mean at this point I like both, but I think the peninsula works better in the space I'm putting this in.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you seem to be leaning the 14 peninsula so I would say get that one. If not you might regret the other purchase, which is just a crap feeling

OP
OP
N

noncarbonatedclack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts list to start

So I think this is what I'm going to go with, can anyone double-check me please?
I figure I'll Start with the minimum to get the cycle started.

Tank: 14 NUVO Fusion Peninsula PRO 2 AIO
Heater: I'm between BRS Titanium or an Eheim, still debating that.

Light (purchase after cycle?)
- option 1: Prime 16 HD
- option 2: ReefLED 50

Rock: Reef Saver Aquarium Dry Live Rock
Sand: Hawaiian Black Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand (hesitant here, I've heard of people having issues with this, namely trouble growing corals)

Salt: Pro Reef Salt Mix

I'm looking at some Dr Tims for jump-starting the cycle. I also need test equipment.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but feel free to point that out please!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sand: Hawaiian Black Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand (hesitant here, I've heard of people having issues with this, namely trouble growing corals)

For heater i would do an eheim jager (better 2 for redundancy if they fit inside of the compartment but you will need to measure) and add a temperature controller like this from inkbird (linked below)

for lights both will work for pretty much everything. I have heard of the reefled 50 having slightly lower par levels but should be fine for most corals in a shallow tank. Other options would be something like led bars like ai blade or orphek or3. The light bars would have less light spill so would be better if the tank is high up and lights are mounted high or if the tank is next to a tv (less light reflection)

rock: good but check local fish stores, some will have dry rock from actual reefs and those rocks usually have more character and are much more porous.
sand: good but it is a fine sand so I would rinse well to get out all of the small particles. I have heard they contain some metallic bits as well so be careful with any magnetic glass cleaners.

salt: great salt. See what is around you as well as I found red sea blue bucket to be more cost effective, but tm pro is still really good

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts list to start

So I think this is what I'm going to go with, can anyone double-check me please?
I figure I'll Start with the minimum to get the cycle started.

Tank: 14 NUVO Fusion Peninsula PRO 2 AIO

I'm looking at some Dr Tims for jump-starting the cycle. I also need test equipment.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but feel free to point that out please!
Heater, I'd consider looking into a Helio, it's compact and has a controller with built in redundancy. Sand, black sand might be magnetic which can present issues with magnetic scrapers and imo, it usually looks bad because it shows ALL detritus. Lights, look into the Noopsyche K7 Mini, a lot of love for this light since release, I can vouch for it and say it's been awesome.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright cool. I know water stability is more touchy with less volume so..
Yeah, with that little water volume you're likely to see drastic swings quickly with either. That extra 4 gallons from a water quality/stability standpoint is really a non-factor. If you do something that's gonna jack up a 10 gallon tank, you've likely done something to also jack up a 14 gallon tank just as bad. Liken it to falling off a 14 story building vs a 10 story building.

OP
OP
N

noncarbonatedclack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For heater i would do an eheim jager (better 2 for redundancy if they fit inside of the compartment but you will need to measure) and add a temperature controller like this from inkbird (linked below)

for lights both will work for pretty much everything. I have heard of the reefled 50 having slightly lower par levels but should be fine for most corals in a shallow tank. Other options would be something like led bars like ai blade or orphek or3. The light bars would have less light spill so would be better if the tank is high up and lights are mounted high or if the tank is next to a tv (less light reflection)

rock: good but check local fish stores, some will have dry rock from actual reefs and those rocks usually have more character and are much more porous.
sand: good but it is a fine sand so I would rinse well to get out all of the small particles. I have heard they contain some metallic bits as well so be careful with any magnetic glass cleaners.

salt: great salt. See what is around you as well as I found red sea blue bucket to be more cost effective, but tm pro is still really good

Ah yes, I was looking at 2 for redundancy. I still need to look it controllers more, other than the inkbird.
As far as light bars, I'll check those out. Trying not to spend toooo much right now.

rock, yeah I was considering that still. sand the thing I'm worried about really is it leeching metals into the water, I'd heard of coral growth issues. I don't really fancy the idea of changing out my sandbed after I put it in. I'm not too worried about the scraper honestly because... I'll just get a non-magnetic scraper? I'm sure I can find one with a long handle too lol.

I'll check out red sea again. Where else, online at least, should I be looking? I really only know of brs.
Local, I'm still looking for an LFS. seems like most are kind of far away from me, not that I mind a drive.

Heater, I'd consider looking into a Helio, it's compact and has a controller with built in redundancy. Sand, black sand might be magnetic which can present issues with magnetic scrapers and imo, it usually looks bad because it shows ALL detritus. Lights, look into the Noopsyche K7 Mini, a lot of love for this light since release, I can vouch for it and say it's been awesome.

Ok, I'll check out the helio. I think I had seen it previously.
I had been trying to think of how to keep that sand clean, I think there's some members of the cleanup crew that could help, but I feel like I need more water before I can consider some of them, unsure.

I hadn't seen the Noopsyche yet, but I don't see that it has the moonlight spectrum? Or maybe I'm missing it because I'm new to this lol.

Yeah, with that little water volume you're likely to see drastic swings quickly with either. That extra 4 gallons from a water quality/stability standpoint is really a non-factor. If you do something that's gonna jack up a 10 gallon tank, you've likely done something to also jack up a 14 gallon tank just as bad. Liken it to falling off a 14 story building vs a 10 story building.

Yeah, I was hoping it would help but oh well.
I'd really like to go with a huge tank but I don't have space for that where I live right now, so big tank is future plans.

For now, I'm going to maximize the effectiveness of the AIO.

OP
OP
N

noncarbonatedclack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find a LFS that has saltwater gear and corals!

It's lookling like I can get a red sea desktop 18, and accompanying required gear, for less than ordering online!

Any thoughts on that tank? I'm sure it kind of locks me into some red sea specific gear in the rear sump area..

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
havent really seen one in person. It looks nice but pictures items that arent included like the protein skimmer, ato, or return pump (just factor those in for price if you want them). It also looks like you will be stuck using filter socks that they include. Check the filter sock specs as they may or may not be a size that only red sea uses (much better if they are standard 4 inch socks)

OP
OP
N

noncarbonatedclack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
havent really seen one in person. It looks nice but pictures items that arent included like the protein skimmer, ato, or return pump (just factor those in for price if you want them). It also looks like you will be stuck using filter socks that they include. Check the filter sock specs as they may or may not be a size that only red sea uses (much better if they are standard 4 inch socks)

Yeah I don't like that I'm stuck with the socks. Might see about making something out of acrylic like intank aquatics does for other tanks.

Yeah I'm just going for the base setup, so pump, tank, sand, rock, light, filter material. for starters. I'll grab a different ATO later on, I want a 5 gal one instead of the one red sea has on offer.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back