View Badges
Reaction score
So the Candy Cane has been looking real rough for a few weeks:

1/19
79859A07-05A7-44A3-AF96-2248C8745D1A.jpeg

I’ve been feeding regularly so it has been starting look better, I think

2/8
54388B38-CEC1-4803-9A8F-BB08E4674C8D.jpeg

Also, I broke my Birdsnest when trying to catch one of tangs for a fresh water dip (precautionary) and I don’t think it’s going to survive:

1/25
8B24C780-73ED-47B1-9FFD-E9D54D1E7ECB.jpeg

2/8
0749142B-0F9A-4D43-AD23-633883F0C474.jpeg

I’m a little sad as I don’t want anything to die but I’ll try and learn from this.

JumboShrimp

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Very attractive tank. :) However, I think you'd be the first to admit there have been quite a few dead fish just so far-- probably due to some over-excitement of the type we have all fallen victim to at one time or another. You want to enjoy your tank for a long time to come, so especially with the fish (heavier bioload than corals, obviously), maybe tap the brakes a bit. That's my suggestion... and best wishes!!

OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Very attractive tank. :) However, I think you'd be the first to admit there have been quite a few dead fish just so far-- probably due to some over-excitement of the type we have all fallen victim to at one time or another. You want to enjoy your tank for a long time to come, so especially with the fish (heavier bioload than corals, obviously), maybe tap the brakes a bit. That's my suggestion... and best wishes!!
You know, I do agree with you. The first clown dying, then getting the neon goby to help the other clown but then it and then the 2nd clown dying. Super sad. Then the Urchin. It sucks. The urchin was completely my fault so I do admit that. The clowns were just a surprise especially since I was getting them from the same place as the rest of my livestock which quarantines them. But, a QT of my own is really what I needed. But so far everyone else looks healthy (other than the 2 stony coral). The 2 Tangs, Blenny, Goby, Wrasse, and 2 clowns. I put myself out there as a cautionary tale for those who think they can do the same. Learn from my mistakes.

And just add on to that, it’s not very often you see the tale of a tank as it progresses, both highs and lows. Usually it’s a post like, “Help, my #fishcoralspecies# is #ailment#”. You never really get the whole story. I’m trying, which I’m probably not the only one, to be transparent. To have others read this “story” and learn from it. Rather than people just saying don’t do “this” because of “that”. You, hopefully, can see what happened based on the history that’s listed here. At least that’s my hope. Even if it’s just 1 person that learns from this, I consider it a win.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As a little addition, it is VERY easy to slip mentally into the 'But just ONE last fish' syndrome. We've all been there a dozen times. It is hard to respect the capacity-limits of our tanks with so many beautiful fish at the LFS. ;Facepalm

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
As a little addition, it is VERY easy to slip mentally into the 'But just ONE last fish' syndrome. We've all been there a dozen times. It is hard to respect the capacity-limits of our tanks with so many beautiful fish at the LFS. ;Facepalm
Right? Like right now. My kids are asking me, “What’s the next fish we’re getting?” So I’m like, should I get another one? The tank is not heavily stocked with fish by any means (am I wrong?). 2 tangs, 2 clowns, 1 Blenny, 1 Goby, 1 Wrasse. My plan was to get another wrasse. More specifically, a Cleaner Wrasse. The Skunk Shrimp only cleans the tangs because they’re the only ones that let it. The others don’t. When I had the neon goby it did clean the others but passed away. That was what caused me to implement the UV filter. Now with that in place, the Skunk Shrimp, and possibly adding the Cleaner Wrasse, my current inhabitants will possibly be safe from any issues in the future. This of course assuming I also institute a QT system. Am I going overboard or going over capacity if I add that Cleaner Wrasse?

OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Update to my tank. I’ve turned off the UV filter as my copepods weren’t lasting in the DT from getting “zapped”. So now pods are surviving in the DT but unintended effect was that also the algae, Dino and cyano are starting to get out of control. So after thinking about this, I’ve come to the conclusion that the combination of having the UV off and having too much white light in the system is leading to this. My Kessil A360WE schedule was as follows:
Time Color Intensity
08:00 0% 10%
12:00 100% 90%
14:00 45% 45%
17:55 0% 0%
21:00 0% 0%

I changed it the following:
8:00 0% 10%
10:00 10% 30%
12:00 50% 70%
14:00 50% 70%
16:00 25% 30%
18:00 0% 0%

Today is the first day with these settings so let’s see what happens. I think this is the true cause of the death of the Birdsnest as it was directly under one of the lights. I also think it’s what’s causing issues with the Candy Cane because it’s also almost directly under another Kessil, though lower in the water column, and in the mornings when the light is not bright, it’s nice and open. Let me know your opinions.

OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
So after turning off the UV filter, the copepods have really started to take off in DT. Unintended consequence from turning it off caused an increase in the algae and cyano. Now that the pods are taking off, they’re eating the algae off the glass. I’ve got my LFS to order PNS Probio so as soon as they get it in, I’ll put that in the tank. Did the research on it and it’s a great bacteria and very versatile and can replicate in the aquarium. Look it up. Should help with my biodiversity. Tomorrow I’ll be picking up a cleaner wrasse and some Plankton Bloom from Sustainable Aquatics (phytoplankton, different types of pods, newly hatched brine shrimp and rotifers). I’m hoping some of those survive to multiply in the tank for food and sustainability. Biodiversity.

OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve gotten a cleaner wrasse, blasto and 3 turbo snails yesterday. After reading so much on having biodiversity and tank stability, it seems having live rock and many coral is the way to go. I’ve waited too long on getting this stuff. I’ve also checked my parameters and they seem to be in check with exception of the nitrates. Still higher than I like at 7.5 ppm. But it is going down. Just 2 weeks ago it was at 40 ppm. Only thing different is adding new live stock. I’ve also have that bloom of copepods and I also added a bottle of Plankton Bloom from Sustainable Aquatics which just adds more live stock (phyto, diatoms... in know.... intentionally..., rotifers, newly hatched brine shrimp, and 2 different types of pods). I also added that live rock to the Refugium which added amphipods and a bristleworm (I’m still torn on keeping that). Next will be that PNS Probio and NSW. Alk at 12 dkh and Calcium at 500 ppm (I use Reef Crystals so that explains the numbers). With the 4 LPS frags in the system I’m hoping to lower those numbers. I’ve had had the SPS (Astreopora) in there for 87 days now but no growth. Possibly stunted by the high nitrates previously? I heard that high nitrates can mess up the calcium carbonate structure? Hopefully having that lower with the all the extra softies phyto and Chaeto will keep lowering the nitrates. I’ve dialed in the skimmer leaving it on fir longer should help as well. For now, here’s a pic of my super ugly tank. Hopefully it gets better from here.

275CA22E-63A0-4B27-B66E-13384F3FAA80.jpeg

What do you look for when making sure your skimmer is working correctly?

• Amount of skimmate

Votes: 165 47.0%
  • Dark Skimmate

Votes: 220 62.7%
  • Light Skimmate

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Dry Skimmate

Votes: 43 12.3%
  • Wet Skimmate

Votes: 37 10.5%
  • Low Nutrient Levels

Votes: 45 12.8%