100 gallon with O. scyllarus questions/concerns

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

It's officially 11 days with my peacock! He (pretty sure it's male) is about 4-4.5 inches and looks quite healthy. I see no signs of shell rot as he roams, not usually straying too far from his usual territory. He acts pretty normal for a mantis except for one thing, I have never seen, heard, nor observed any evidence of him using his raptorial appendages.

As I watch him, it begins to worry me because he won't even strike emerald crabs that enter his burrow. I witnessed a medium sized emerald crab walk right past him, through the front door. Also, I have watched him pick up hermits, inspect the hermit/shell, bring them into the burrow and either toss them back out a minute later or they end up walking out the front or back. Sometimes when he tosses them out he will pick them back up when try to move away and redo the process. This is my first peacock, but is this not odd behavior? I believe he can pull smaller hermits out of the shell with his other appendages and I have fed him smaller pieces of frozen shrimp with forceps twice over the 11 days I've had him. On occasion when I'm using a grabber to flip snails over, place shells, ect. near his burrow he will quickly dash to the grabber, and dash back to his burrow agressively but never swings.

I thought maybe it was because be was going to molt/just molted but it seems like he would have done that by now, he has good water quality and all minerals/elements needed (unless I'm missing something lol).

Aside from the mantis I currently own, I have a fever for more! I was very curious to the idea of adding another, smaller species to this tank. I was thinking Gonodactylellus viridis, or one of the Neogonodactylus smashers. Since these smaller species often live in rock cavities and LR, and considering my tank is 100 gallon with approx 120 pounds of LR, could I get away with it or is it just a bad idea?

I greatly appreciate you're wisdom and advice, and for reading this wall of text! I will post pictures if needed

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacock_Mantis_Shrimp.png
Picture?
How do you know it's male?
It's odd that a smasher don't do anything to the crab unless it's not a smasher!
My old Peacock Mantis even try to strike at me through the glass if I take a closer look at him.
Also, I have ton of coral rubles in my tank so it can build his house using those rubles.
This is how my old mantis look like, it's around 8 inches when it passed away last year.
Edit:
Getting another Mantis is a bad ideal they will kill each other.

Last edited:

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171023_162458.jpg

20171023_164412.jpg

It seems very odd that he won't strike anything. Worries me dearly :(
Do you see any damages to its hammers?
If it try to smash something after molt when the hammer not harden yet, it can damage its hammer while doing that.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back