100% reef safe angels and butterflies??

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which are the most hardy and 100% reef safe butterflies and angels? At least in a softies and lps only tank.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not think there is almost any fish that is a 100% reef safe. I have seen and heard all kinds of crazy behaviors. Angelfish and butterfly fish are some of the more difficult ones to judge.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not think there is almost any fish that is a 100% reef safe. I have seen and heard all kinds of crazy behaviors. Angelfish and butterfly fish are some of the more difficult ones to judge.
Yup, I remember, i had a damsel that would nibble on my gsp and palys. Also bi colour blenny would nibble on clams and some corals.. iv never kept a buttelfy or angel, so was intrested in them, as ill be building a 150 to 200g soon.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of your tank Is a perfect fitting for this angel fish. Not because he's only reef safe. Japanese mask swallow tail is as close you can get as being 100%. Not only a beauty in my eyes but awesome fish. Once adapted or acclimated a very hardy fish. Female or male are both winners. I have a pair and at times the male will chase the female. It looks aggressive but no harm is done.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of your tank Is a perfect fitting for this angel fish. Not because he's only reef safe. Japanese mask swallow tail is as close you can get as being 100%. Not only a beauty in my eyes but awesome fish. Once adapted or acclimated a very hardy fish. Female or male are both winners. I have a pair and at times the male will chase the female. It looks aggressive but no harm is done.
Kool, can u plz share pics?

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as angels, the best choices for reef compatibility are the Masked Swallowtail, Bellus and Lamarck's. I've kept both the Swallowtail and Bellus without issue and both are stunning, the Bellus being my favorite.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the angels in the genus Genicanthus, so the Japanese swallowtail, watanabi, bellus, etc. For butterflies, longnose, pyramid, and zoster.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like longnose buterfly, do they easily adapt to pelleted food? How are flame, bicolor and coral beauty angels?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like longnose buterfly, do they easily adapt to pelleted food? How are flame, bicolor and coral beauty angels?
If other fish are readily eating pellets, then lomgnoses will usually figure it out too.

Flame and coral beauties can be hit and miss whether they nip coral. Bicolors are much riskier.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I remember, i had a damsel that would nibble on my gsp and palys. Also bi colour blenny would nibble on clams and some corals.. iv never kept a buttelfy or angel, so was intrested in them, as ill be building a 150 to 200g soon.
Haha, I hear ya! As long as a fish does not eat my corals, I'm ok with it destroying a few crabs...I like wrasses. I glad some guys chimed in a gave you a couple of good choices for fish to choose. Best of luck!

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS far as eating corals, I do not know, cause I have a FOWLR, but I have a Klein Butterfly and a Lemonpeel Angelfish, who I would say from my experience, are hardy. They certainly like to graze on algae ALL day. I keep two clips in there for them , one with green algae and one with red/brown mix. I feed the tank LRS Fish Frenzy and PE Mysis, and they eat like pigs.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel does not eat coral but he is definitely a nipper. This limits my sps extension but growth still seems fine. Every once and a while he will take a go at my acans but doesn't remove flesh, just ticks em off.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS far as eating corals, I do not know, cause I have a FOWLR, but I have a Klein Butterfly and a Lemonpeel Angelfish, who I would say from my experience, are hardy. They certainly like to graze on algae ALL day. I keep two clips in there for them , one with green algae and one with red/brown mix. I feed the tank LRS Fish Frenzy and PE Mysis, and they eat like pigs.
Lemonpeel angels are a riskier dwarf angel for corals, and kleini are even more likely to nip.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked longnose the most as of now, are they agressive? What corals would they nibble, just in case?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked longnose the most as of now, are they agressive? What corals would they nibble, just in case?
Longnose butterflies aren't aggressive. Clams and acans are what would be at risk, as well as feather dusters and coco worms.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back