1000 gallon shark tank!

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've heard the drill from the other forums. "You're insane!" "That'll cost tons of money!" "You're crazy!"

And my answer is "I know", and I'm still gonna go through with it DIY. My goal is to get it done for $5000 or less without giving up on anything (like no plywood, for example). "You're dreaming!" I got that too. But hey, I can try!

Prior to this I've been away from aquariums for a LONG time, but now I've rekindled my passion for fish, and, this time, sharks, and I'm starting this tank with the goal of housing 3-5 small sharks within it, alongside some of the larger fish only wrasse (harlequin tusk, hardwicke wrasse, dragon wrasse). I'm not going to gimp on the cleanup crew either. Knowing that I have a predator tank, I'm going for heavily armored critters: queen/milk conches, abalone, atlantic deer/tiger cowries.

I'm here because I occaisonally need to ask questions that are not easily answered by googling or reading books/research articles. For example, one that I already posted is in regards to the compatibility between epaulette, bamboo, and cat sharks and pincussion, tuxedo, and pencil sea urchins. Will they hurt the sharks? Will the sharks try to hurt them? Questions questions questions!

Also, my avatar is quite random at the moment, I intend to change it in the future, but for now yin yang it is ;P

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I am going to be watching for your tank build on a 5k budget. DIYing it you can save so much.

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited to see the progress of this!! Good for you for jumping back in with both feet man! Actually, sorta jumping into a 1000 gallon shark tank, huh? Can't wait!!!
I guess you could say that, yes, haha.

I guess I should have specified the size of my tank. It will be 4' tall, 4' wide, and 8' long. I am considering making it a little wider or perhaps MUCH longer though.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have specified the size of my tank. It will be 4' tall, 4' wide, and 8' long. I am considering making it a little wider or perhaps MUCH longer though.
That tiny huh? You might want to consider making it a little wider or much much longer. :p
Seriously man, I am super excited to see this build. Have you considered starting a build thread with the concept? I know that there are people here who have built shark tanks, shark enclosures, and there are a TON of DIY folks that are super skilled, may be a way for you to ask questions and let some folks come up with ideas if you're stumped on something... And I get to watch the whole movie unfold before me!!

Agamerce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a setup. Good luck to you and following. While I am a bit envious, I do not envy the work load a tank that size requires. If you have free help maybe...best of luck! :). I'm rooting all the way.

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tiny huh? You might want to consider making it a little wider or much much longer. :p
Seriously man, I am super excited to see this build. Have you considered starting a build thread with the concept? I know that there are people here who have built shark tanks, shark enclosures, and there are a TON of DIY folks that are super skilled, may be a way for you to ask questions and let some folks come up with ideas if you're stumped on something... And I get to watch the whole movie unfold before me!!

Sounds like a plan! I guess I'll have to go and make a post eh? I'll work on the wording for a bit and then go make one ;P

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back