100g + drillable tanks?

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any recommendations for drillable tanks in the 120g to 184g range? Have any of you attempted a DIY project that size?

It looks like most people just buy the reef ready tanks around that size, I'm curious to know who's gone the DIY route, and what I can expect.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate reef ready because the corner overflows suck for anything other than against a wall

I bought a marineland 180 undrilled for half off retail what a reef ready cost. I then drilled two 2 inch holes in a short end and put a synergy reef shadow overflow on it.

It now sits in my wall between the living room and office and is viewable through both long sides with zero obstructions.

Before that, I bought a 125 undrilled and put the samd overflow on a long side. A day later we found out we had to move cities, so I now use this as my sump since I upgraded. The 125 with s long side overflow obviously would have sucked going into the wall

9c400d365e13dbd6124ea34534031eef.jpg

Tell me what side the overflow is on. It’s practically invisible once the tank was filled.

Kmack0415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a old all glass 125 that I drilled the side for a external pump for my remote sump/fuge got the bit off Amazon, kept water flowing on it and went slow and easy, started at a angle to get started then leveled out, when it's getting close to the end use less and less pressure to keep from breaking the glass out and chipping, tape on the back side of where you drilling will help with that as well as catching the disk you cut out. You can get drill guides to help from walking but it really isn't hard without one as long as you take your time and go easy

20180429_052311.jpg

OP
OP
00Barracuda00

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate reef ready because the corner overflows suck for anything other than against a wall

I bought a marineland 180 undrilled for half off retail what a reef ready cost. I then drilled two 2 inch holes in a short end and put a synergy reef shadow overflow on it.

It now sits in my wall between the living room and office and is viewable through both long sides with zero obstructions.

Before that, I bought a 125 undrilled and put the samd overflow on a long side. A day later we found out we had to move cities, so I now use this as my sump since I upgraded. The 125 with s long side overflow obviously would have sucked going into the wall

Tell me what side the overflow is on. It’s practically invisible once the tank was filled.

I did a double take. I totally didn't even see it at first glance.

R33fz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a old all glass 125 that I drilled the side for a external pump for my remote sump/fuge got the bit off Amazon, kept water flowing on it and went slow and easy, started at a angle to get started then leveled out, when it's getting close to the end use less and less pressure to keep from breaking the glass out and chipping, tape on the back side of where you drilling will help with that as well as catching the disk you cut out. You can get drill guides to help from walking but it really isn't hard without one as long as you take your time and go easy

20180429_052311.jpg

That's a nice suggestion. will take note of that too

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice suggestion. will take note of that too
It absolutely can be done and I would highly recommend getting an an undrilled tank so you can drill it yourself to make the drains and returns work the way you want to. I do it to every tank I own regardless of size. Here's some pics of my 180 I just modified last year for a 4 foot internal overflow and external bean animal drains. Two return nozzles through the glass. Total of 5 holes in the back panel and 3 holes in the bottom of my all glass external overflow. Go custom drilled, you will be so much happier in the end. sorry for the bad pictures, it is night time here right now. I can get some better pictures of the holes tomorrow if you want.
IMG_20180620_230125247.jpeg
IMG_20180620_230134295.jpeg
IMG_20180620_230216832.jpeg

Last edited:

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhh and fyi, a tip for the new tank driller, ALWAYS put a towel or something soft on the opposite side of the tank. So when you finally drill through (after about 15 minutes of drilling each hole on half inch glass, or at least that's how long it feels lol), the puck of glass in the center of the drill bit doesn't fall on the opposing pane and scratch or worse crack the pane. Also, I always use some plumbers putty to make a little pool around the hole and use a siphon from a bucket of water with air line tubing to flood the area where being drilled. A lot of water, and little to no pressure. Sand the edges a touch with some 220 wet dry sand paper and your golden.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back