DIY Reef-pi LED light controller for Photon LED lights

Lukes Saltwater Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DIY Reefers,

I've been working on a project to create a custom LED light controller specifically designed for Evergrow/Photon LED lights, sold by ReefBreeders. After struggling with the stock remote controller and finding no satisfactory alternatives on the market available, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Using my electronics experience and some nifty components including a Raspberry Pi Zero, a PCA9685, and a 5V regulator, I've developed a controller that offers A simple way to upgrade your lights or get them working again if your remote stoped working. I've even included an option to integrate a temperature sensor for active fan control.

I've paired this hardware with the powerful ReefPi software, allowing for complete customization of your LED light's time schedule. With this setup, you'll have the freedom to tailor your lighting exactly how you want it, without any of the limitations of pre-packaged solutions.

But here's the real kicker: This has the potential for much more, the reef-pi software can do so much more. I have a vision for the future where you could make this LED light being able to choose your own Exact LED diodes but the light could also have ports on it for other features like, aquarium temp sensor, auto feeder, ph sensor, dosing pumps......

Right now my goal is to make a simple drop in replacement for the photon/evergrow LED lights, a simple PCB where the user solders a few components and writes the rasperry pi sd card. I currently have a working prototype that has been running without any problems for a few months now and i have designed a pcb that is currently being manufactured.

If you're a fellow DIY enthusiast looking to elevate your reef aquarium setup, this project might be just what you're looking for. Stay tuned for more updates as I prepare to share the details of this game-changing solution with the community.

Let's me know what you think and if you have any experence with reefpi.

Cheers,
Luke
My facebook page where there will be updates: Lukes Saltwater Tank
Product.png

OP
OP
Lukes Saltwater Tank

Lukes Saltwater Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parts are starting to come together for the led controller, pcbs have arrived and I have most of the other components too. Hope to have a video soon showing the parts and explaining the project and how it all works.

Do you have photon / evergrow Led lights over your tank? What do you think to the idea of making them smarter and Easyier to program?

Attachments

• IMG_20240318_205030.jpg
    IMG_20240318_205030.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Lukes Saltwater Tank

Lukes Saltwater Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT'S WORKING! The first reef pi led conversion pcb has been successfully installed and is running perfectly.

I have been working on this for a while now and am finally near completion, I have filmed everything and will be posting it all online for anyone to copy and recreate.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20240331_232942.jpg
    IMG_20240331_232942.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Lukes Saltwater Tank

Lukes Saltwater Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your backplane PCB to tie the VR, PCA, and Raspberry pi together, clean! Glad to see it's working out well!
Thanks Im working on getting videos on youtube ready so it can be easily replicated, should be done soon!

Im really pleased with what reef-pi can do and am surprised that its not used all that much in the hobby!

OP
OP
Lukes Saltwater Tank

Lukes Saltwater Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not go one step further and make a complete light yourself? you choose diodes, cooling, spread and enclosure..
That is next! I can use 90% of what I have already created for that too. I actually already made a diy led light years back and it worked really well. I have more knowledge now and better tools too.

I would also like to create a diy tank controller hub, like the robo tank.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is next! I can use 90% of what I have already created for that too. I actually already made a diy led light years back and it worked really well. I have more knowledge now and better tools too.

I would also like to create a diy tank controller hub, like the robo tank.
Good luck to your DIY adventures! Keep us updated!

OP
OP
Lukes Saltwater Tank

Lukes Saltwater Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am nearing completion on this project! Im in the process of editing the videos and getting everything ready to be online. The Light is all finished and working Great, corals are loving it!!

I have a quick introduction to the Project and the first PCB building video... Links Below.

What do you think?

Intro video:

Video 2 building:

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a real pity that people nowadays are either too lazy to do any DIY or have been unable to develop their skills to the required level..

But great video otherwise - well done!

yury88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Raspberry Pi with Linux to control a few LEDs—it's like hammering nails with a microscope...

Yes, it works, but there are a lot of better solutions for that.

But now you have overpowered SBC in your light, and you can dig into programming and make normal software. Reef-PI really has just base LED control functionality.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back