OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This are still going good in the tank. Didn't turn off the power heads for these pictures but wanted to post an few update pictures

Old FTS
IMG_3013_old.jpg

Current
IMG_1987.jpg

Left side
IMG_1983_p.jpg

Right side
IMG_1985.JPG

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another month down and my tank has been pretty stable (fingers crossed) since the change in lighting. With my previous test purchases with corals, most of them are going strong. A few didn't make it but that was due to my pesky hippo tang moving corals around my tank and getting lost and not due to something more ominous.
Since things are going decent, I have purchased some fancier corals to help fill some of the spaces I have with additional colors. I will need to break out the real camera and take some good pictures once I get the new additions in place.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my coral delivery from AquaSD this morning and left work early to put them in the tank.
Here is a shot just after getting the bags in the tank to start the process.
tmpImage 6.jpg

After the long process of acclamation, coral dip, here they are on the racks.
tmpImage 2.jpg
In the upper right hand corner of this picture, you can see a frag of frog spawn, that did not come with this purchase, that is an old frag that is slowly coming back to life.... :)
tmpImage 3.jpg

And for those who might wonder, this is the list of the coral. (currently not in any particular order, might edit this later)
ASD Futurama Acro
ASD Bubble Gum Digi
ASD Premium Shortcake
ASD Blue Devil Acro
ASD Grinches Hair Acro
ASD Blueberry Shortcake
ASD Rainbow Mille
Red Planet Acro
ASD Red Robin Table
Searing Angel Acropora
ASD Yellow Hornet Acro
ASD Grape Vine
ASD Zues Acro
ASD Wizards Staff
ASD Night Rider
ASD Red Robin Table
ASD Aussie Pikachu
ASD Grape Vine Acro
ASD Birthday Cake Acro
ASD Blue Monster
ASD Rainbow Cake
ASD Splinters Tenuis
Birthday Cake Acro
ASD Fountain of Youth Acro
ORA Pink and Green

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real update. no new equipment, no new corals, no new fish. I have been reading an article from Randy about his new 2-part dosing for a bump in ph that I am thinking about trying out. Other than that, the only thing for this weekend is water change day...15gal.

Tank while prepping for water change.
IMG_1197.JPG

in the belly of the beast. I have a lot of equipment stuffed under here. It was hard going from a "fish room" in the basement to this when I moved here.
IMG_1195.JPG

Just a pic of the clown enjoying his bed.
IMG_2242.jpg

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately this is an old thread with not much visibility. This weekend was the worst in the 15 years (and 3 states) of reefing I have had.

Not sure what when wrong but something really went wrong. I have lost almost every coral and fish I had, most have been with me for 5+ years. The newest fish I added was 3 years ago. My tank was really starting to take off and as seen in my last post a few months back, I also added some nice pricey corals to the tank.

So here is the back story, I sold my house and had to move. I thought I had it all planned out and since I have moved tanks and fish thousands of miles, I didn’t figure this move of 13 miles would be very eventful. That is where I was wrong. The total move took less than 14 hours and the move the fish and corals was less then 30 minutes. As I said I have no explanation to what happened, all I know is when I put all the fish and corals in my suv to move they were looking awesome, when I pulled up to take them out all but 3 fish had died and my corals looked like they were melting. Within 2 Hours my house smelled like dying corals, the remaining 3 Fish died And corals continued to melt/die.

Such a waste.
IMG_2712.JPG

So this is my sign to take a break from the hobby. I enjoyed the challenge but I don’t have the energy to do this again. I will be selling off my equipment shortly.

Thanks for the help along the way.

Last edited:

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fortunately this is an old thread with not much visibility. This weekend was the worst in the 15 years (and 3 states) of reefing I have had.

Not sure what when wrong but something really went wrong. I have lost almost every coral and fish I had, most have been with me for 5+ years. The newest fish I added was 3 years ago. My tank was really starting to take off and as seen in my last post a few months back, I also added some nice pricey corals to the tank.

So here is the back story, I sold my house and had to move. I thought I had it all planned out and since I have moved tanks and fish thousands of miles, I didn’t figure this move of 13 miles would be very eventful. That is where I was wrong. The total move took less than 14 hours and the move the fish and corals was less then 30 minutes. As I said I have no explanation to what happened, all I know is when I put all the fish and corals in my suv to move they were looking awesome, when I pulled up to take them out all but 3 fish had died and my corals looked like they were melting. Within 2 Hours my house smelled like dying corals, the remaining 3 Fish died And corals continued to melt/die.

Such a waste.

So this is my sign to take a break from the hobby. I enjoyed the challenge but I don’t have the energy to do this again. I will be selling off my equipment shortly.

Thanks for the help along the way.

This hobby can be a killer and a roller coaster. Sometimes you never know why things happen. Seems like it happens to everyone at some point or another. Sometimes even more then once. Hope you have luck selling all of your equipment.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be a killer and a roller coaster. Sometimes you never know why things happen. Seems like it happens to everyone at some point or another. Sometimes even more then once. Hope you have luck selling all of your equipment.

Thanks, The tank has been sitting and running since the day I moved everything to the rental. Over the next few days, after all my fish died, I tried to figure out exactly how I was going to sell my tank. I noticed that some of my LPS had actually began to stabilize. So I pulled a small 10G AIO tank i had in the garage and set it up temporally to try an save something. As I moved corals from the big tank, I quickly was running out of space and decided I better decide what I was really going to do. Ultimately, I ended up getting a tank from a local member and set it up. I will probably start a new thread because apparently its not as easy to give up as I thought.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, for those who read the entire thread, welcome to my new build. My previous build lasted since 2013 over multiple states and moves, then had a tragic end. A few days later my build thread was a feature for tank360....hopefully the irony wasnt lost on anyone. Again you can follow my new build here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chk4tix-50g-rimless-saga.642862/

Anyway here is a quick update, my 50G tank is doing well, still dialing in the dosing and feeding schedule. Its quite a change to reduce 50G and very few corals and fish. So i am starting to learn this process all over again.

The latest change is I purchased an ATI T5 fixture from @dodgerblew to replace the "blackbox" LED light that i had over the tank. Even though the LED was keeping everything alive, ever since I changed back to T5's in my previous build I wanted to put them over this smaller tank as well. I personally like how the light seems to fill the tank and remove many of the big shadows I have always seemed to get from LED's.

Today was the first day on getting them mounted over the tank. This is a picture of the light in its place with the LED still on the light tree while I get everything into place. (excuse the mess still havent had a chance to get settled in at the new place).
IMG_2698.JPG

Here is another picture after I added a ReefBrite to it as well.
IMG_2703.JPG

I will have to play with the mounting height to see if I want to move them higher than they are but that will take a few weeks of monitoring before I get it where I want it to go.

The other variable is flow, currently I have 2 MP40qd on the back wall of the tank. I am pretty sure this is overkill since I am only running them @ 40% in a schedule where only one is on at a time. I am basically running a bare-bottom tank with only a little sand because i was going to place a tub worm in the tank but decided to place it in a cup of sand instead. So there is a little sand in the back of the tank that I havent pulled out yet.

So far since moving to the new tank my levels fluctuate a little, but overall everything has been staying in the correct range.
alk is 8.5 to 9.6dkh depending on the time of day and I am working to level that out with my DOS.
pH is 8.02-8.24 from night to day. I need to try reverse lighting my sump to see if it helps out any but I will need to purchase a light for that.
Calc is in the 460ppm range but pretty consistant.

I am having a little bit of a battle with phosphates because I currently am not able to run my RO/DI and am using the filtered refrigerator water in the auto topoff, so it is a new problem I will need to figure out.

My wife got me 2 little fish as a gift while I was away on a business trip and it was a pleasant surprise to have "life" in my tank again. I also noticed that a few of my plate corals have actually had "babies" so I am excited to see life in coming from a dead coral. They are too small to get photos of right now but if they keep growing I will post pictures.

If my tank continues to stabilize I will start restocking my SPS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did have this tank up for sale since because I had emptied out because I moved houses again. However, since Covid and everything else going on, I never got around to getting it sold.
I was hoping to get a new tank and start from scratch, but I didn’t win one from the partner drawings yet and I haven’t bought one either.
So I have decided to do a little rebuild and see how that goes.

This won’t be the most exciting build on here and this is already buried with 4 other pages of attempts with this same tank but here goes.
This tank/stand are about 7 years old and have not been used in well over a year. I was looking over the tank and it does have a few scratches from over the years but nothing major. I am going to try and see if I can make them less visible, if not I might end up with a replacement tank. When I get to this part I will document what I try to do to “fix” the scratches just in case it works.

The first I did was to make sure the structure is still sound because you never know how dry things stay with a box full of water.
This is what it looked like when it was first emptied out.
CBE63917-275D-4421-9D1D-2C39ED7DE296.jpeg
597218A7-3BDC-4E0C-BC4A-16EEF90373D2.jpeg

Here it is as I start the process to check for any water damage before I start removing the stain.

3752F62B-B729-416D-A685-262B2F01E76C.jpeg
35A0E8D1-0043-4249-8490-7320A0A797B4.jpeg

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a very long time since I did an update. I had a major home rebuild due to the freeze we had in TX Feb of 2021, so I haven’t had the chance to even worry about a tank until a month or two ago. With that, I have had 40g tank in my garage during the whole home rebuild that has had no TLC for the entire time. I’m actually surprised that anything has been able to stay alive this whole time. I do have a heater on it but now that we are hitting the summer months again, I would say it’s not fairing as well. So I have decided to restart the original build and see where it takes me. This is definitely a love/hate relationship.

Attachments

• 2C349B4B-8683-4F64-93A8-70DE8C57D2BC.jpeg
    2C349B4B-8683-4F64-93A8-70DE8C57D2BC.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to post updates here and to my YouTube channel, there isnt much content yet since I have just decided to do it again.
I can’t promise that it will be the most captivating channel on the web, however, come join me for the ride. I will be starting the tank up from scratch again as I previously mentioned, so come watch for the poor video skills and stay for the transformation.
Chk4tix YouTube channel

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted my first installment of the rebuild. chk4tix’s 100gal rebuild - part 1
This Vlogging is not as easy as others out there make it seem. (Kudos to all of those who do this already.). It’s defiantly not the highest production value but we will see how this transforms over time.

This the first video in the continuing saga of Pulling my 100gal tank out of storage after a few years due to a natural disaster which left my house uninhabitable for over a year, now slowly setting it back up with as many repurposed parts as possible. After I get the tank set up, I will also be redoing the 50gal tank from my other build thread 'chk4tix - 50g rimless

I ask that you subscribe and join me in the ups (and downs) of this process. Please comment if you would like to see any additional content or would like any additional discussions related to saltwater tanks and reefing.

Thanks for making it this far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can already tell this is going to be a long process. My wife made the comment that I could potentially have the tank in the main living room of the house so now I am already second guessing if I want to Just buy a new tank instead…..

Just posed another video, special thanks to the 1 person who watched the previous video.
Part 2

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted part 3 Test placement of lights. I am really just winging it at this point. I am still indecisive on where I am even going place the tank let alone how I really want this “filming” to work out. So far in this rebuild process, since I plan to re-use as much of my existing equipment from over the past 10 years, I find little things that I want to do differently which send me off to buy something new. For example, I noticed I still had metal hose clamps around the base of the main return lines to and from the tank. So I had to buy some plastic ones instead and now I wait. I also realized I need way more salt because I decided I might as well start up the 50gal cube as well.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am messing around with aquascape, I have an idea what I really want it to look like, but we will see if I can make that idea happen.

Quick video

39B03D9C-4D2D-40B3-BDB0-03100A8989A9.jpeg 71DAE227-101D-4FB3-8DD2-B0003FEECE81.jpeg 6214B60D-CE04-44F5-88CD-68417286ABF0.jpeg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back