OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape final design is still eluding me, it seems even though I thought I had a layout I wanted. when I moved the rock to my garage to see about “glueing” the rocks into shape I was unable to reproduce the shapes I had before. So it’s back to the drawing board again. In the mean time, I am waiting for misc parts I order for connecting the return pump and some small acrylic panels that I wanted to create a small section in my sump specifically for the water return from the tank. The idea of this is basically trying to recreate what I have seen in newer sumps, but without having to buy a new one. Again, trying to get this tank together using only what I have from my storage.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted a quick video update on the process. Have most of the plumbing in place, getting closer to actually adding water. I will be uploading a few longer post later.
Update

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kind of in a holding pattern for a couple of reasons. First, needed I had to buy some equipment (APEX controller) since I am planning on redoing my 50gal cube as well, I can’t just re-use what I already had. On the 50gal, I will use my existing APEX classic which has been a workhorse for the last few years. So I will have to see if the newer model is compatible with any of my existing add-ons.
The second reason for the delay is, I haven’t decided where I want to put my tank. I was going to put it in my office but my wife volunteered a location in the living room that my TV currently is but it’s a great location for visibility. If I go this route, I need to move and mount the TV over my fireplace, which might be a bit high, but I could put a larger tank or have more room around the tank. Decisions decisions
Anyways, over the weekend, I built my aquascape (can’t put in tank until I decide where I am moving it) and finished building my sump box, attaching the drain lines in my sump.
So here are some pics for those who didn’t watch the YouTube posts.

A2F7AB16-6A42-4DD6-8C55-3037E245D4CB.jpeg 0FBBBB67-0CFB-4B57-9869-AC17E76A256D.png

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update: I wanted a place to hide my equipment, and I was going to build something from scratch. However, I found a cheaply priced stand, that I ended up doing minor modifications and painting. It looks like it will work out well for what I am trying to do. After getting some feedback, I finally decided where I am placing my tank. With this, I can no start getting all the hardware in place and wires routes. Stay tuned. (Special thanks to all those who provided feedback)

100gal (380L) - Part 8 - Cabinet created for tank equipment

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to update, still need to get all the equipment I plan to use sorted and organized out. Over the past 15 years it looks like I have collected a ton of equipment and tank related items. It seems I have every thing metal halide bulbs to reefbrights, from charcoal filters to chempure. I always planning on selling stuff off but each time I moved I figured I would sell it After getting settled. My last move was to TX and I was really kind of surprised that the number of reefers out in this area seem slim to none. In comparison, both UT and OH (land locked states) had a more active community. Not sure why but it was great when it came to buying/selling equipment/corals and most importantly talking/meeting all those with a common hobby. Anyway back to my point, I have slowly been sorting out what I want to use and piling up all that need a new home. This weekend I plan on getting the equipment mount and rocks in the tank. The. I need to get my RO/DI set up and running to start filling the tank. At this rate, I might have it ready for action by next year.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my G5’s have the ability to be controlled through the Mobious app, I bought the new RF modules from Echotech to allow me to connect my older MP40’s to the app as well. The installing the new RF chips were very simple. Unfortunately, I spent about 8 hours trying to get mobious to connect correctly to my 2 MP40’s. The software is not as intuitive as I would like, also I had to keep adding, removing, upgrading, downgrading the firmware of the MP40’s to try and get it to work. It kept saying it would find both powerheads but would only add one to the app. Very frustrating. Ultimately, I downgraded the firmware in both. Then added them one at a time, had to completely update, then add, then rename the MP40 before attempting to do the same with the second one. Took a very long time for this process. Make sure you have your mobile device set to not got to sleep during the install or you will have to start over from the beginning again (even though there is a pop up that says you can level the app while it works).
In the history of any tank I have ever had, more time has go into just the planing and prepping stages than ever before. I got around to doing my aquascape and have the majority of my equipment mounted. I will post a quick update video later but I am slowly making progress.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am second guessing if I have made the right choice to get back into the hobby. This week I have started the process of adding water to the tank. I thought I was making some good headway on the process but I am now a bit annoyed with mobius and how it fails to work. In a previous post I mentioned that I spent all day getting all my devices to connect to mobius. I thought it was supposed to be a set it and forget it process, Only to have them non-responsive by the next day. I have been trying to get them all to connect again for over a week. It just doesn’t want to work. For the lights, it seems to loose connection to the same light every time. Which results in me having to hard reset it and add it back. This seems only to be a temporary fix before it decides to do the same thing later. The MP40’s on the other hand are even more annoying. If I “downgrade” them the software sees the two individual powerheads, but the second I “upgrade” then in mobius, it only indicates I have a single pump. According to the “W” on the Mp40 case, it shows they are both connected, but I can only control one and the other doesn’t show up in any setting any “widget” it just doesn’t work. If I have one unplugged and go through the hole process of downgrading and upgrading each pump at a time, it seems to overwrite the previously added pump in mobius and I am again back down to one controllable pump. I am am getting closer to just selling my new radions, switching the chip back out on my MP40’s, using my Neptune wXM to control the MP40’s and just buying me a ATI T5 and calling it a day.

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new video to post later but I have officially got water in the tank and have started the cycling process. I still have a few pieces of equipment to mount and get connected up, However the tank is looking good even though it is empty.
Here it is as I was filling it up.
3274E03C-A951-4CB0-9018-29E93DEFDF8E.jpeg

This is it after getting all the water in and starting the powerheads. Was a lot more cloudy than I expected to be:
3BADD1FF-7458-4124-9535-A83C3FC0CDBB.jpeg

Later, after tuning the skimmer on:
9B1E9D1D-4C02-4097-B084-216CC459B36B.jpeg

Here is a picture under the tank, skimmer is doing a great job pulling out the junk.
AB645B74-A840-44E5-91C1-C730B7A307C0.jpeg

and here is a picture of my equipment in the little cabinet I converted to mount the controllers in.
E202175F-75FF-49E9-8B26-E2E08F28E98D.jpeg

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another week down, tank has spots. The cycle been going for a week or so. Nothing to see yet.
Tank update

(I have been streaming it on twitch with the same username if anyone is interested)

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow going, tank is still cycling. Ammonia levels haven't really changed. I do have a little disappointing news, it appears my last surviving fish from the tank disaster has given up the ghost. I was really hoping to have the tank up and ready for that guy but I guess that isn't in the cards.

empty tank live on twitch ;)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back