100g Rubbermaid sump set up?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am up grading to a 180g display. Currently I have a 40g breeder as a sump but will be upgrading that as well. Plans are to use the 100g Rubbermaid trough to hold my fish and corals during the transfer and then convert it to a new sump. Anyone have pix of how they set theirs up? It's a basement sump so pretty doesn't matter. Just want to see how high off the ground you have it and what you put in it. TIA.

ntableman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I cannot for the life of my find the photos, but let me do my best to describe what I did.

Big rubbermaid tank, with a rubber box from Home Depot in the middle. The tank plumbing went into that box. The box has a series of holes cut in the side near the top for over flow and 4 circular cuts in the bottom for filter socks. I had a float switch in the box to alert me that the socks were dirty. In the big tank I had love rock and sand, all my equipment, and a couple small power heads to move water around. Then my main return was at the other end.

I had it up on a triple row of cinder blocks both to keep my pump from working too hard and make it easier on my back :) !!!

I am using the past tense here because this was a prior setup. Honestly it worked great. I even for the rubbermaid stock tank on Amazon because I had no way to bring that thing home!

Oh and I drilled holes in the side of the stock tank, near the top, for tubing and other things, because I covered it with 1" foam board insulation to keep basement junk out and help keep heat in when it was colder out.

I will try my best to find a photo...

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a big Rubbermaid basement sump a while back. It was an open sump with no compartments. I had plenty of room for my skimmer, and lots of extra live rock. I always build a stand so that my sump is about at stomach level. That helped with fast and easy water changes too as I could drain directly to a drain line in the basement via a ball valve.

The only reason I removed it was that I finished my basement so I wanted the space and put a 40 breeder sump in its place. Again, with an open design.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back