OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long time coming, a couple of pics.

I was playing around with the Marco Cement, and got a decent layout for the 60 cube. Mixed the cement and stuck it together. Couple shots from that:
IMG_20191120_222328.jpg
IMG_20191120_222334.jpg

Everything is solid, save one rock I was still playing around with that is attached to the bigger (on the left on the top pic) pile. Still not sure where I want it, so it will float until I decided.

Going with a 29 for the sump, need to configure that:
IMG_20191120_183224a.jpg

Still haven't done anything to the stand. My plans got thrown out when some other stuff came up. I "think" I can fit a 10G under there for a QT / Mini fuge, so I'm going to try that next. Got everything I need to plumb, just need the time.

Starting a new job in a couple of weeks, great schedule (Four days on, three days off) so I'll finally have a couple days off in a row starting in December.

Also, I'm still not convinced I should run the 30. I'm kicking around the dual 60's much more than I should be. I can't decide. I do like the idea of a seagrass bed in the 30 tho, with 4-5" of sand, so very shallow, but lots of cool stuff in there.
(Maybe a single huge carpet anemone, can't decide)

There is some more mundane stuff I've gotten done, but nothing earth shattering. My RO Pump works great, so the ro/di is all set with new cartridges and resin, one less thing to worry about.

Finally, still debating about going skimmerless, and just use the 29 as a refugium, and if I can fit the 10G in there, house the pumps in that, and run a complete gravity fed system.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make that rock an island. Right where the light makes a V shape on your sandbed. It will give you the visual triangle.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the PVC out and started measuring and cutting/gluing. Got the locline to where I needed it and ... find I need a 3/4 to 1" adapter with slip/threaded. I thought I had it, but bought a 1" x 1".

Oh well, I'll stop by the hardware store tomorrow before work. Living 30 minutes out of town makes running in for a 2$ part not worth it when you factor in time/gas.

Hopefully leak testing the 60 by the end of the week.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing some really great threads on r2r from from different members tank builds, I think I want to change directions a little bit.

I'm off tomorrow, so planning on getting the 60 wet at least!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After kicking around some ideas on how to get everything together, I thought I'd simplify my plans a bit. Behold, cube on sorta cube action! I need to level the little stand out a tiny bit, and work on the sump. With my new schedule (Four days on, three days off) I'm hoping to make some progress on my off days. 14 hour work days make it pretty hard otherwise.

IMG_20191211_160101.jpg

The fitting works really well. AI Prime on 30 Cube for scale. I think I'm going to run a 150 MH over the cube. Ended
up ordering a Hamilton 6 bulb T5 fixture for the 120ish, should be here by the end of week. Picked up some extra
bulbs as well, so I'll have some choices to play with regarding colors. Looking for a slightly bluish hint/tinge, so something like 12-14k in color.
IMG_20191211_160110.jpg

The back snugs up just fine to the overflow of the 120ish cube. A couple of holes and I can bulkhead right through so
everything will drain right into the sump, one set of drains is all that is needed.
IMG_20191211_160119.jpg

If I choose to move things around later, I can just glue some acrylic over the holes in the back of the overflow, so it can be a stand alone tank again.

I think I'll change the thread title in the next few days. I could run the 60 cube next to it, but the synergy of the 30 and how it snugs up is just to good to pass up.

Viva la cube(ish)!

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixture is in, and I've been playing around with bulb combos. I'm not a fan of the crazy blue look, so went with some bulbs that are hopefully in the 12 to 14k range.

Fixture before power:
IMG_20191218_130741.jpg

Note: The coloration in the camera is WAY, WAY, WAY bluer than in real life.
Fixture with power:
lightsv1.jpg

Even playing with the colors to whiten them up still doesn't clean it up. Probably need a camera filter.
Example: The second bulb is a 50/50 65k/14k bulb, it looks a shade or two above a slight yellow tint in real life. It is lavender in the photo. The two coral bulbs from KZ are the 2nd and the 6th. They have just a hint of blue in real life.

Overall, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the Hamilton Fixture. Individual reflectors (pressed as they may be), and the fixture has four different plugs. One for the fans, three for the lights. I can see easily ramping up and down with the lights (not dimming, just on and off) as the day goes on. Can't remember off the top of my head which ones are each plug, but it was pretty balanced.

I know ATI makes some good bulbs, but honestly every Hamilton bulb is stamped with the same made in Germany label as the ATi's are. I figure I'll run these for awhile and see what I like and what the corals do under them.

And while I was waiting around for the fixture to come in, I scrounged some T5 bulbs off the internet. Note, I think the most expensive bulb was 13 bucks. Some, were $5 each. Plan is to change them out one at a time from month 11 on.
Meanwhile, I can mix and match a little bit :
IMG_20191218_130812.jpg

Hamilton/Giesmann/KorallenZucht bulbs

Moving some stuff around today, and figuring out a sump layout I like before I get started.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved tanks into position and got them level. Needed to do a little surgery to the stand to make the bulkheads fit better, but nothing major. Bulks in place, tank level, go to hang lights, no ceiling butterflies to hold the lights. I'll pick those up tomorrow. Still need to plumb the 30 cube into place, as you can see it is going to be in a little different position than before. Still need to touch up some paint on both stands, but it is coming along.
IMG_20191218_153418.jpg

14 hour days of work the next days, next Monday will be the chance for me to get more work done.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try and hang the fixture today. Came home early from work, so going to try and make the most of it, while not shredding my knee any more than I have to.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back